Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to buy first audi, 2001 A6 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
1st Gear
Default looking to buy first audi, 2001 A6 4.2

Hey guys!

Looking to get into my first Audi and just wanted to find some info on what I should be weary about with used Audis.

I'm looking at a 2001 A6 4.2 Quattro with 140k miles.

Here is the listing on autotrader.

I got a general idea of what to check for, but I'd like to know if there is anything specific that guys have run into with this model! ie: does the 4.2 blow up after 150k miles on average? Things like that!

Any help would be appreciated!

Sneedle

Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

Wow! thanks for the lead I've been looking for one of those everywhere!

JK!

The 4.2 is a great engine.

You will need to do the following soon as possible unless they can prove with receipts it's been done recently.

Timing belt and rollers/tensioner
Serpentine belt/rollers
Water pump
Vacuum lines
Completely change all of the fluids/filters
Valve cover gaskets/spark plugs

Check for;
It should start smooth a silk, Mine does, NO rumbles, no smoke. (be sure you start it cold,don't let them warm it up)
NO Oil Leaks
Coolant has to be pink or purple not green-walk if it's green.
Leaks coming from trany pan- I wouldn't buy it if there are any!
Make sure it shifts smoothly, Don't listen to them on that one. Use your own intuition. It's 5K to rebuild that sucker.
leaks coming from the CV joint boots.
Clicking when you nail it with the wheel cut both ways means you have a bad CV joint.
make sure all of the windows go up and down smoothly if not you may need to change a regulator.
Look behind the engine back by the firewall for oil/coolant leaks. Not to fun when they are back there.

Scan the ecm for fault codes. Very important. Run it a while turn it off and on a few times then scan it.

After all that you should have a basic idea of how it is.
Trust me it needs work somewhere. We will all guarantee that! However it's the better engine of the bunch.

Good luck and see you around, Ha ha ha

Old 09-29-2009, 09:27 AM
1st Gear

Awesome, thanks for the info. I hope it's in decent shape!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:20 AM
3rd Gear

Try and get service records or contact info for previous owner. Agree that conventional wisdom has these engines as very durable (ding against 2.7T is turbo life), but you are still looking at a8 year old car with almost 150k miles. Those don't typically get sold if everything is running perfectly. So try every accessory and option in the cab -- go through the owner manual to identify them. Check the pixels on the dash, AC, heater, radio, CD changer, etc. Make sure the oil is fresh Mobil1 0W-40 or equivalent (not dino oil).

PS - I've been watching a black 2001 A6 4.2 with 119k miles in the Grand Rapids (MI) Press for a few weeks -- asking $7950 obo. 616-975-2736 if any one is interested.