Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

losing coolant on my 2006 Audi A6 3.2L

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation losing coolant on my 2006 Audi A6 3.2L

I had to replace my radiator and my fans. My car loses coolant….the only place I found is on the side of my coolant reservoir. My car has a coolant smell once my engine gets hot. It gets close to the high temp….then it will go down…sometimes I have to pull over to add more coolant. There is no coolant in my oil so I don't think its a head gasket. I have been looking into this…some people said it could be coolant reservoir tank cap. So I ordered both the tank and the cap. There is no leaks instead of the side of the talk. So any help will be great. I am getting tired of throwing parts at it.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear

Do you see any white residue on the tank or below it as if it's dripping down and evaporating when the surrounding area becomes hot?

Are you seeing white smoke from the tail pipe? Why did you replace the radiator and fans? Was there a front end collision that the car was involved in?

There are a lot of reasons that could cause you to lose coolant so the more information the better.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 AM
1st Gear

Well I hit a tire debris on the highway and that is what made my radiator leak…and I had to replace the fans cause it was missing the push fastner holding the driverside fan secure….and no one sells just the faster so I had to get the whole fans. Well it didn't smoke out the exhaust until my Audi began having a problem starting when it has been sitting for about 4 hours. But the smoke goes away once the car has been running for awhile…so it only smokes for a awhile after it finally starts up. the coolant system was completly empty and now it seems to be losing less coolant. But I did notice that the sensor below the coolant tank is unplugged and has a leak around it. So i am wondering if its the sensor or the thermostat….today it got close to high temp and then it went back to normal. So I am wondering if it still has little air bubbles in the system or that unplugged sensor is the place I am leaking coolant. You can smell like burning coolant from under the hood. I don't have a coolant cap tester…so for only a few bucks I got a new tank and cap. When I have the tank off hopefully I can find the harness that connects to the sensor.