Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low sound with symphony radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Low sound with symphony radio

hello,

I bought my 1999 audi a6 a couple of months ago. The radio was missing of the car. I purchased a new symphony radio and got it unlock. The problem is with a very low sound. What could be a problem? I tried to install a working radio from different audi and still very low sound. Is the problem with amplifier in the trunk. Anyone knows? Also on my Symphony II i would get Error 3 when try to insert a cd. Thanks

Old 12-05-2006, 11:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Low sound with symphony radio

Do you have the Bose speakers or not? (look for the "Bose" logo on the speaker grills. If so, you have to have the radio set to know that it's got Bose speakers (using a tool called a VAG COM). If you don't have the Bose speakers but the radio thinks it does (i.e., says "BOSE" when you turn it on), that could also be a problem.

Do a search for "VAG COM Locator" to find people near you who have one and may be willing to help you out. Posting a message on the appropriate regional forum is another way to get in touch with somebody in your area who can help you.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

no i dont have a Bose logo on speakers. and i dont have a bose radio. it doesnt say bose when i turn it on. Any more suggections? Should i try to replace amplifier. If yes, where can i locate that. It isnt in the trunk. Thanks

Old 12-06-2006, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear

I'm tapped out. Try posting this question to the Audio forum on www.audiworld.com -- TONS of good knowledge to be had there.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

ok. just found out i do have Symphony 2 BOSE unit. My audi is not a bose syste. Anybody can help to set it up? im in Virginia Beach, VA

Old 12-06-2006, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear

I had a Lumina with a BOSE system back in the day and had the same problem. When I turned it on it was fine but after 5 minutes the volume would significantly dim. Found out it was the amp. I replaced it, and it worked fine.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by prbayha
I had a Lumina with a BOSE system back in the day and had the same problem. When I turned it on it was fine but after 5 minutes the volume would significantly dim. Found out it was the amp. I replaced it, and it worked fine.

Where did you get a replacement from? Do you have the link to the site? Thanks!

Old 12-17-2010, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

This sounds like a problem in the radio. Your radio uses an IC to determine the volume, balance, fade and tone settings. It also serves as a source switch.
Audio signals from the AM, FM and CD or cassette run to this IC and are processed in route to the audio amp circuit.
May this will help you!!

Old 12-17-2010, 01:45 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by avakhnin
ok. just found out i do have Symphony 2 BOSE unit. My audi is not a bose syste. Anybody can help to set it up? im in Virginia Beach, VA
If that's the case, follow Southboroaudiguy's suggestion about disabling the bose setting on your headunit. IIRC, the only difference between a Bose HEADUNIT and the standard Symphony HEADUNIT is a vag switch. Now the amplifiers, speakers, subs are all different, but not the headunit. Just a setting in the headunit which can be changed with a vag-com.

But you also said you bought a Symphony II unit, your car normally would have a Symphony I unit fwiw. But that should not cause any problems, well maybe, but not the problems you are having.