AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Merry Christmas to me! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/merry-christmas-me-161873/)

hxgaser 12-22-2010 04:21 PM

Merry Christmas to me!

I need to vent. My front cam seal is leaking oil like crazy. Other 3 are leaking as well. I just did them about 30K miles ago.

Merry Christmas to me.

chefro 12-23-2010 02:23 AM

Don't feel bad, man...My passenger side cam seal and the valve cover started to leak as well after only 14 k miles... I saw the TB front cover stained today when I changed the oil. Pulled the damn thing off and voila...But I'll be damned if I do anything to them until the warm weather's back. :D
I could only say "F**k the manufacturers of non-lasting horseshit"....is like they make them out of sponge....but in any event, Merry Christmas to us all.

bob martin 12-23-2010 07:13 AM

My driver's side started leaking the day after I put it on. The passenger side is holding up so far, but GEEZ! - leaks right after you put it on! Next time I will go with a non-Audi part.

Bob

hxgaser 12-23-2010 08:56 AM

Thanks for the sympathy. BTW, where did you guys get the cam seals from?

chefro 12-23-2010 12:31 PM

I got mine from Arizona Autohaus- were either CRP-Contitech or V.Reinz brand, although can't remember where exactly were manufactd. Definitely I need to dig into the papers :)....I may go with a different vendor next time.

I already purchased the valve cover gaskets ( :D - is like I freaking anticipated) from ECSTuning along with a set of 5 oil filters, a new air filter, a new magnetic oil plug, and two new retaining clips for the oval insignia fender trims.
Ho, Ho, Ho......bastard Audis... :D

nemohm 12-23-2010 12:37 PM

Mine drivers side camshaft plug/cap leaked to the point there was no residual oil pressure after 2-3 days non-driving.

Replaced it on a COLD engine, left the engine OFF for a 24h.
Looks ok so far.

chefro 12-23-2010 12:43 PM

I replaced mine COLD as well, when I did all that engine work back in May 09.
Didn't seem to make much difference, although I can say that the driver side has only "misting" in the seal area, and no leaks for the valve cover gasket....yet

hxgaser 12-23-2010 03:57 PM

I should have taken a picture, but now realized that the cam seal leaks weren't the main culprit. My crank seal disintegrated and was hanging on the crankshaft.

I just bit the bullet and got seals from dealer the stealer. Since the car front end was off, I got the whole timing shabang as well. $850 in parts from the stealer including valve covers, water pump, tensioner and etc. I hope I can get this thing back together before Xmas. Wife is already giving me the look if you know what I mean...

chefro 12-23-2010 09:13 PM

I'll be curious to see how they do the timing at the dealership. Do they use the locking tools or they get the timing afterward via laser or else method?

It sounds like The Car has a joyeous Holidays season :) Probably got the most gifts in the family :D
Happy celebration, anyway, gaser!

hxgaser 12-25-2010 11:59 PM

Actually, that was for the parts only. I did the work myself. It included valve cover gaskets and cam chain tensioners as well.