Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire/ruff idle Coils and ICM

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 PM
1st Gear
Talking Misfire/ruff idle Coils and ICM

First off Thanks to everyone who has posted and helped with there misfire issues. your pain has helped me keep my car rolling.

When I bought my 2.7T it had a check engine light and a miss I was told by the previous owner that the #1 and #2 coils where bad. So thanks to AudiFourms I knew to replace all the coils and plugs. The car did great for 1-2K then during a hard acceleration getting on the interstate the check engine light came back on and the car lost power and was very ruff at a idle. So i pulled the codes and found P0305 #5 misfire. Not wanting to believe my new coil had gone bad I pulled it and swapped it with #2 also checked the plug it looked good. Cleared the codes and test drove to see if I had moved the problem. It did not change so I checked the injectors using a thin flat blade screwdriver I could hear all six clicking. Next I started checking the forums and found that the ICM may go out and cause random misfire P0300 and misfire on one or more cylinders. I removed the two ICMs from the top of the air box and swapped them and out for another test drive and the misfire moved from #5 to #2. Ordered a new ICM and will be on the road soon. Also when I swapped the ICMs I found little to no heat sink compound under them and what was there was dried up. So when I get the part I will add new compound to the ICMs so they will live a long time.
Thanks

Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

Good to hear things worked out well for you. That's the great things about forums like this. Generally you're not the 1st to experience a given problem, & there are folks out there willing to offer experienced advise. Been there, done that scenario.

Just getting 1 ICM or 2?

I recall when we changed our ICMs, they came with a small tube of clear gel for the "'heat sink compound". Anyone know if this is just dielectric grease?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

Just one ICM for now. I ordered some heat sink compound from Amazon just to be on the safe side.