AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   mods for 02 A6 4.2l (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/mods-02-a6-4-2l-89395/)

junshannon 01-28-2008 02:38 AM

mods for 02 A6 4.2l

noobie in AF. just got a '02 A6 4.2l. sport/cold package. love it. want it to breathe better. what available exhaust systems is out there for this car? can anybody send me likns please. thanks!

Khardysius 01-28-2008 02:00 PM

RE: mods for 02 A6 4.2l

There really isn't a whole lot to choose from. I know Miltek has a complete exhaust, but that is pretty costly.

Your best bet is to go with VAST Performance. They have been pretty dedicated to the 4.2 for the last year and doing a lot of R&D. There are a few clips of their Super Open exhaust and it sounds killer.

They also have some intake mods which pair up nicely with the exhaust.

Read through this thread; it may help - https://www.audiforums.com/m_778665/tm.htm

I recommend that you speak/communicate with Baskin 4.2l as he has direct contact with the guys at VAST. Also, check out the movie link in his signature. He has one of the VAST exhausts.

Check this thread too for a cool vid - https://www.audiforums.com/m_776151/tm.htm

Good luck!

justincredible 01-28-2008 06:50 PM

2nd the Vast Performance recomendation

I went out to see them over the weekend and I have to say they really are making a difference in the abandoned 4.2 market. Igot a tip file and tested a ECU file...bottom line NIGHT AND DAYDIFFERENCE. they don't charge enough for the parts and programs. I am going to drive the car for a few more days and then give the forum my feed back. VAST is amustgo to for 4.2 performance

junshannon 01-29-2008 04:52 AM

thank you for all that responded...i will check VAST out...wish me luck...

Baskin 4.2l 01-29-2008 04:58 AM

3rd on the VAST

E mail Either kurt@vastperformance.com or prince@vastperformance.com Kurt heads up the N/A development but good luck getting a hold of him

junshannon 01-30-2008 07:52 AM

i hope it's just the camcorders mic that's making the sound a little to raspy for my...i guess i should be more specific as to what i'm looking for...i really want a more deeper, fuller rumble...any other options for the exhaust out there?

junshannon 01-30-2008 07:54 AM

imo the car is clean and definitely fast...just want a different tone for my car...thanks again for the help...

Baskin 4.2l 01-30-2008 02:19 PM

That is the super open exhaust on my car stage 3 exhaust.

There are 2 other stages. I will see if there are any other sound clips

junshannon 01-31-2008 09:10 AM

thanks...can't wait to hear more clips from your car...

junshannon 01-31-2008 09:17 AM

baskin4.2l...what is your current set-up for your 4.2...i.e.suspension (springs, sways), exhaust, intake, wheel and tire combo......just to give me an idea...thanks again!

Baskin 4.2l 01-31-2008 01:17 PM

The suspension is H&R I have always had good luck with them.
the intake was a S8 intake withVast open elementbut I am getting this installed in the next month or so

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/c...2c0032ec61.htm

The exhaust is the VAST super open

Wheels stock....couldn't find any other rim I really liked

Tuning is one of the biggest power mods for the buck. Vast did a custom chip so no issues with out the secondary air and the rear o2's.

My thoughts on tuning. There are alot of company's out there but few tune for the 4.2 the few company's that do make a chip don't really make any serious improvement in power thus most people don't get a chip for the 4.2.....unlike the BMW seen where the chips are more fine tuned and its not that you can get a boat load more power form a N/A BMW but you clearly get a better tune. This is why I would only suggest going with Vast for a tune. IMHO they completely re tune all aspects of the car from the trans to the motor. On my already strong performance S8 motor swap. I noticed a large difference with the VAST program.

It is good to know there is a lot more on the way for us 4.2 guys. I as always will keep you posted

junshannon 02-01-2008 02:45 AM

baskin4.2l...chipping the car is probably third on my list...but if it does get bumped up, did you have to do anything special to get the tuning that you have right now?

Baskin 4.2l 02-01-2008 03:15 AM

I actually took my car to Vast and they helped me with a complete S8 motor and 6 speed trans swap. So to make the car run properly. They needed to tune it. But with my wife's car I just had them install a chip there was no need to do any work. The Vast tune IMHO is real tuning with Real changes to the feel of the car. Not some placebo kind of power where you are like "I think I feel a difference" chiping the 4.2 makes a difference but how much depends on who you get a chip form

junshannon 02-02-2008 05:20 AM

i have never had the chance to chip any car that i have owned. i still have my 95 90 sport. i have kept that pretty stock, except for some suspension and wheel and tire changes. still going strong T 155K miles. so with chipping this one what do i have to do? doI have totake apart anything and send it off to a shop?

thanks again...

junshannon 02-02-2008 05:23 AM

baskin...btw,so who do you recommend for the chip for our 4.2's? does it make a difference if i have a tiptronic?

Baskin 4.2l 02-02-2008 04:26 PM

From the 95 sport you have to the 2000+ Audi you have there is a world of change between the 2 cars. The electrical system ECU and TCU control the entire car and all its functions. The speed it limited the Tq is limited fuel is limited the shifting in the trans is limited all threw the computers. So the 2000+ cars will all have a serious change to them if properly changed and REALY tuned

The choice of who you choose to tune the car will be the difference between whether you notice a difference or not.

I have been in several cars with so called chips and to me there seemed to be no difference. In the past I don't think the developers of the chips really too time to change the dynamics of the car. They would just throw some timing at it and call it a day. well it takes more than just that to give you real feed back and changes in the car. I have seen this in both the BMW and the Audi N/A chips.
When I had Vast chip my car they spent HOURS changing every thing from fuel to timing to removing the Tq limitations speed limit recalibration of the throttle body. I mean we went threw almost every aspect you could on the car. It changed as a complete system not just some little changes.

Right now I don't see any other tuning companies trying to help the 4.2. They are all just interested in the easy money from the 2.7T
even if you could find a company that made a chip for the 4.2 they did it years ago and then have not made an attempt to bring any other products to market. That shows me any other company is not dedicated to the continued performance of the 4.2 so I would not recommend any one right now other than the companies that have developed parts and are currently developing more for the4.2.

Vast performance.....they are one of the biggest companies forR&D and real performance
they are always looking for 4.2 testers

https://www.audiforums.com/m_786407/tm.htm

Read the entire post I linked it will help answer some questions

junshannon 02-05-2008 04:52 AM

baskin...always, nice info...i gguessi mislead you into thinking that i was trying to do something with the 90...i'll leave it the way it is and hand it down to my son as his first ride (if he wants it)...sad to see it go if he does take it...anyway, after reading our post and the link to justincredible visit to VAST makes me want to just get up and go to VAST...thanks again!

justincredible 02-05-2008 05:23 PM

Junshannon,

I think the point baskin was trying to make was that nowadays you can't adjust anything with our going into the ECU. Back in the day there was cable throttle now a computer regulates all of the ability to open and close the throttle. The transmitions back in the day were Vac assisted and if you wanted more you would just install a shift kit. even if you tryed to do the shift kit on the tip you would still need to program the trans computer to get the most from it.

I have just the TCU file with a small modifyed ECU and the car is much different. Deffinitly worth the trip and the money

junshannon 02-06-2008 02:22 AM

justincredible,

thanks for the info. i am just trying to get ideas here.do youmindif i askforyour current set-up? suspension-springs, shocks ,sways, drop; engine- chip, exhaust...etc. I am not going to track or drag the car. it's going to be my daily driver, but i still want it to be handling and performing good...thanks again!