Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More clutch concerns awaiting your feedback...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:43 PM
1st Gear
Default More clutch concerns awaiting your feedback...

Hi,

I posted a thread about a week ago regarding my premature fried clutch in my '03 A6 2.7T. I'm pretty confident that I'm going to choose a clutch kit from South Bend. They are the same clutches that are in AWE's clutch packages. Does ANYONE have experience with an upgraded clutch-kit/flywheel?

I've heard both good and bad things about the brand SPEC. Any personal experiences or stories? And has anyone heard of "Aceco" or "Ace" or "Ace Racing" as a manufacturer of flywheels? The guys at AWE say that that's the flywheel they use in their clutch upgrade packages. I can't seem to find the "Ace" flywheels on the internet though.

I've decided to upgrade to a lightweight aluminum flywheel, and everyone I talked to says that there are no manufacturers who make an upgrade version of a dual-mass flywheel. I've been warned that replacing the dual-mass with a lightweight (single-mass) flywheel wil cause more vibration...anyone experienced this? How bad is it? And from your experiences, what is a good flywheel to choose? Fidanza, NKK, etc.

One more question. When upgrading to Stage 3 and above clutch kits, I noticed that the clutch kits have "puck-style" clutch discs. I am concerned about the drivability factor...has anyone upgraded to a Stage 3 or higher with a puck-style disc? I heard that the clutch engagement is severe; that there's no give for riding the clutch, and that driving in stop-and-go is a PITA.

Man...I just want to be confident in what I order and get my car back from the shop! Any inputs/feedback would be greatly appreciated. For those who have replied to my previous post, thank you. Your comments are invaluable.

Thanks,

Louie

Old 12-09-2007, 03:54 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: More clutch concerns awaiting your feedback...

I responded to your last post - I went with the AWE stage 2 and a lightweight flywheel. No difference in pedal pressure or engagement point. The flywheel chatters a little (harmonic vibration) when I shift too early and lug the engine at low speeds. The stage 2 is rated to 450hp I believe.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: More clutch concerns awaiting your feedback...

The south bend clutches are nice but they use the stock Pressure plate and they tell you it is a RS4 when it is not. south bend is much cheaper than the AWE. Personally I think AWE gouges people just because they can on stuff Like the clutches.

VAST PERFORMANCE uses the RS4 pressure plate and the better disk (get the kevlar)
I had a clutch masters stage3 clutch (same as the AWE....AWE gets there clutches from clutch master) and because it didn't have the sac on it I think It wore prematurely. Hard driving will do this to a non SAC clutch on a Audi...I was not a big fan of the VAST or the south bend type of SAC clutches. until I saw J quick run 15 11 sec passes in one night on his VAST clutch and still uses the car every day. I switched to the VAST SAC style and it has held up the longest and now that I am putting on the supercharger (my car is a 4.2 with a 6 speed) I will let you know if the stage 2 can hold all the Tq

as for the LWFW just get it from who ever you purchase the clutch from and you wont have any issues.