Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My A6 is dead please help before dealer trip :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 PM
1st Gear
Default My A6 is dead please help before dealer trip :(

So at this point the car is pretty much dead and I don't know what happened. The key will lock and unlock the doors but the only thing that lights on the dash is the odometer. Can't even get the ac controls to light up. Could it have lost the key programming? I don't know where to look first.

Also will VCDS lite work to scan the car at all?

Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

VCDS Lite will scan for faults related to the standard OBDII diagnostics. For the most part these are limited to emissions related items.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:04 AM
2nd Gear

Its hard to give advice on this one, the scan would help, don't erase the codes.

but i did have an issue similar to this when my maf sensor was acting up.
its the sensor located after the air filter it has a small wire that measures intake air tempo and another measures mass air flow.the ECM needs that information.

another problem could be a cam sensor.

so the scan may point out cam sensors but it depends on how the car died as to whether or not it will give a maf. Did it die, or did it run and then just not re-start.

My symptoms appeared like it could be a key issue as well.
if the ECM is not reading all the parameters it needs to tune in the air/fuel/timing ratio
it will do some strange things.

There are also issues with the ignition switch that could cause the problem.
but key programming is not it.
you can reprogram that yourself, do a search for the procedure.
it might not be the key but the dash lost the key info.
I don't recall how to do it, you put the key in the door, turn it and press the buttons?
but that ones a long shot.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

I was able to get the car running again. I found out if hold the brake turn on the hazards and then hold the high beams switch it will activate the ecm to be read with a scanner. After I read it I found the steering column interlock was stuck which made the car appear dead the key wouldn't do anything. I reseated the plugs on the module under the column and I went to adjust the column height and the lever was really tight but once i freed it the dash lite up and the car was able to be started.