Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car locks its self, and I have a window and sunroof question also?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 02:22 AM
1st Gear
Default My car locks its self, and I have a window and sunroof question also?

So its a 96 A6 Avant.

I have noticed that the car will lock its self, I started to happen about the time I programmed my keyless entry fob and well it basicly acts as if I used the key a honk and its locked no light flash.

Also my drivers window will roll all the way up and then drop down some, I have read in the other post that it is pinch protection and a worn window guide can do that, but it has also stoped the automatic one touch close feature sometimes when it acts up.

last my sunroof will act up also, I will turn it to close and when it will close all the way it will then tilt up.

I now it has to be something dumb so what could be causeing all this, the window one is basicly answerd but what about it stopeing the auto feature when it acts up. Thank you.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Default RE: My car locks its self, and I have a window and sunroof question also?

I have similar issues but I only experience my sunroof tilting up after I close it. Could be some type of electrical problems , hopefulkly nothing too crazy.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: My car locks its self, and I have a window and sunroof question also?

Well I wonder what it could be then.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:25 AM

Yo , if the problem gets alot worse , then defin get it checked out. Electrical problems can go a long way and be verrrrry expensive and defin not worth the headache. Get it checked out and see what happens from there.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

yea, I don't think its electrical though, my stepmoms 94 VW Jetta does the same thing. It locks its self also, I left the keys in it one day and the car locked me out, It has to be something stupid.

I think its a problem with only the air lock types.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Hey zatOrsk1, I was reading an owners manual for an 96 A4 today becasue thats what came with my car ( at least its a 96 year manual) and I found a section in there that says the car will lock itself as a security issue. It will only do this if the car is unlocked with the remote and no doors are opend within 30 seconds. So I tried it and it did it so thats normal.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:56 AM

ohhhhhhh ok , sweet!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Well I still wonder about the sunroof now.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:12 AM
1st Gear

1998 A6
If you unlock the car, then do not open the door within 1-2 minutes it will relock. The previous post is right, it is a security measure. So unlock the car, open the door, close it should not lock.
Sunroof - the control **** might be bad. Or you might try putting a shop vac to it, there might be some dust or up other debris there. Open the sunroof all the way, then slowly move the **** to each position to see if works when you move it slowly.
Window. The windows will bind if the tracks are off. The dealer or a body shop should be able to adjust the tracks and rollers.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Well, yes, the car will lock itself if you hit the unlock button and not open a door or trunk in 30-40 seconds...basically a secuity feature to prevent you from unlocking your car by accident as you walk away from the car.

As far as the window problem, there is a design flaw in the factory window guides, and they break very easily. This is a fairly easy DIY if you are comfirtable with tools, but if not, leave this to a professional. I think if you search "window guide" on here of AudiWorld's A6 forum, you'll ge the info you need to do it yourself.

The sunroof, I know that if I rotate the sunroof to the closed position, but also push the **** up (as if I wanted to tilt the sunroof up), even if the sunroof is in process of sliding closed, it will then tilt up once it is closed. Saves the extra step of having to push the button after the sunroof slides shut. Try it...from the full open position, rotate the dial to full closed and push the dial up. You'll see.