AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Need advice about purchasing used A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/need-advice-about-purchasing-used-a6-227137/)

thedoge 02-10-2018 09:43 PM

Need advice about purchasing used A6

So I totaled my car last week and since we had just bought my wife a new car the week before I decided to buy something relatively inexpensive used rather than get a second car payment. I am looking to get 3 or 4 years off use until we pay the new car off. I had decided to buy an older luxury vehicle as I feel I am getting the best value plus these cars are built to last longer than the standard vehicle. Plus I want to have something with a nice ride. After looking at and test driving Audi's, Mercedes, BMW's and Lexus's I have decided on the Audi A6. I really liked everything about the A6. The exterior looks classy, the interior rich and the ride great. I have three that I have narrowed it down to and would like to solicit the advice of the people who have experience with these cars. I am handy with working on cars with having kept both our previous cars going past 200k miles and am in the process of restoring a 1958 Willys Wagon. Below are three cars along with the good and bad. I appreciate any input.

Car #1 - 2005 A6 Quattro, 124k miles,3.2 6 cylinder $5,500 including tax, title, license
This was the first car I looked at it was in spectacular condition. The only thing that I could find was one small door ding. The seller said that he had a mechanic go through it and replace two ignition coils and the high volume fuel pump. I could not find a blemish on the interior. It does not have the navigation system. It has a golden color exterior and light brown leather interior.

Car #2- 2005 A6 Quattro, 130k miles, 4.2 8 cylinder $4,000 excluding tax, title, license
This car needs some work. The owner did not even bother to clean the interior. It drove well and the V8 really has some go. It needs rear brakes and probably rotors as well as they were grinding. It has some dings and scratches on the body but nothing too bad. The interior needs a thorough cleaning but I did not see any rips in the leather. The radio did not work and he said that was due to him just installing a new battery and blowing a fuse. I would have thought that you would have replaced a fuse before somebody came to test drive it. Some of the interior buttons has the lettering wore off and some of the dash labels are crinkling off. It has black exterior and black leather interior. It has the navigation, heated seats and Bose stereo. I think I would only consider this one if he came down to $3,000 and proved that the radio and other electronics worked.

Car #3 - 2005 A6 Quattro, 77k miles, 3.2 6 cylinder. Price was $6,800 but I have negotiated down to $5,800 via email
I am going to look at this car in the morning. It has a few issues but I am considering due to the low miles. On the add it says the "ESP/ABS Fault light comes on from time to time. Parking Brake Malfunction also comes on from time to time." Below is a list of items that he listed as recent work. I did some reading on the ESP/ABS issue and that sounds like it "should" be an easy fix. He did say that he hit a curb with the front bumper recently and it is loose but not broken. The exterior is silver and the interior gray leather. I do not see any badging on the trunk lid, neither the A6, quattro or 3.2

Work recently done:
I replaced the oil pan/gaskets 2016
$10k mile oil change January 6, 2018
New brakes January 20, 2018 $495.00
New headliner December 30, 2017
I have receipts to prove this work was done

-Bose Surround Sound
-Leather
-Navigation
-In Dash Screen
-Heated Seats
-6-speed automatic transmission