Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help.

ok now that i have your attention, ive owned a 2000 a6 4.2 for 4-5 months now after getting it from an insurance auction(hail damage), anyways ive put almost 6-7k on the clock since ive owned i love the car, yes it has some minor mechanical problems that im currently working on but for 138k it runs like a champ. my problem is that when i come to a complete or almost complete stop the car will disengage 1st gear go to neutral and reengage 1st within about 1-2 seconds, if you try to accelerate while this is happening, the car will give a neutral drop effect, it will rev up the rpms then slam into first gear, but if you know how to drive it properly like i have been doing then you know to give it the 1-2 seconds to reengage. when i first got the car i had to replace the MAF, the previous owner had an aftermarket filter on it and it just killed the MAF, ever since ive been driving this car it has done the shifting thing but only when it is warm, in the morning when i first get in the car and back out and drive away the car shifts from reverse to drive and all of that just fine and when i come to the first few stops it will not disengage first gear, only after it has warmed up. the transmission was flushed and filter was changed by me at my fathers shop. the fluid level is correct and the correct fluid was used. now here is the kicker if i unplug the MAF it will shift completely fine every time, but the car is obviously a turd and if i put the old MAF in the car (i cleaned it like crazy) it will shift perfectly fine but the MAF dosnt read properly so it waste gas. i also replaced the vacume lines underneath the 4.2 engine cover unless there are more that i need to replace. honestly im just lost, ive reset all computers through vagcom to get everything in sync and nothing has changed, it drives great and is severely responsive and accelerates very well, but you have to wait that 1-2 seconds every time you come to a stop and it is severely aggravating. i tried to give as much detail as i could, im just truly confused and tired of this problem and help would be greatly appreciate.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

The MAF has nothing to do on how the transmission shifts. If the car uses a TPS sensor, it may have a flat spot, or the transmission is not working properly. When was the transmission fluid changed last?

Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

^^^^
mostly this

scan for codes

do a search for 4.2 and torque converter issues

Old 07-29-2012, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by z28pete
The MAF has nothing to do on how the transmission shifts. If the car uses a TPS sensor, it may have a flat spot, or the transmission is not working properly. When was the transmission fluid changed last?
right around 5k miles ago, the transmission shifts perfectly fine and very quick the triptronic works very well too, i use the triptronic every time i drive, i like speed i guess, but the transmission itself works perfectly when driving, it only acts up when you try to accelerate from a stop and only when the MAF is plugged in so its either an electronic or vacume problem but i just cant figure it out. it worked fine with the old MAF but the performance and economy was **** because it didnt read properly