Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new 1996 a6 quattro owner, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:12 AM
1st Gear
Default new 1996 a6 quattro owner, have questions

Hello guys, I just bought a 1996 A6 quattro today with 98k miles on it.
THe car is in good condition, but I have few questions.
1. First, when I come to a slow stop and I am pushing on the brakes until I stop, just when it's about to stop the brake pedal will jump upwards and you can hear a BOING sound coming from under the car. So basically as u push the brakes, it will go BOING and the pedal moves up. A mechanic said it's related to ABS, anyone know about this? or things I can check out?
2. I want to do some maintenance work, what kind of tranny fluid should I use and how much?
3. What type of spark plugs are good for the car? and what should it be gapped to?
4. What type of oil and oil filter? and how much oil goes in?
5. My technometer light doesn't come on only on the left side, how do I fix this? and can I change the color of it? It's red right now
6. the P , R, N, D, etc.. lights on the dash doesn't light up, how can I fix it?
7. What are some nice features with the car that I might not find out from reading hte owners manual?
8. Also the previous owners said the only way to open the trunk is to turn the key to ACC ON and open the glove box and push the red button to release the trunk, there has to be another way..

Old 11-19-2006, 10:24 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: new 1996 a6 quattro owner, have questions

Well lets start by saying hi, I own a 96 Avant and you have a fine car.

The boing is the ABS kicking in, the pedal will push back up when its activated and you hear a weird noise. There are no lights on, in the cluster. I had a problem like this after changeing a strut assembly and I didn't have the ABS sensor in far enough, no lights were on just when I go to come o a stop just before the car stopes it would kik in, I had to push the sensor in alittle more and that fixd that. I wouldn't go pushing the sensors in all the way as it may hit the axle, but one may need to be in alittle more, it only takes one to throw the system out of wack.

As for the trany service you can't really do it your self because you need a vag-com to do so. The tranny is a sealed unit and you can only check and fill it through the plug in the tranny, this device reads the tranny's temp and when its reached that temp ( I think its 40*C) thats when you fill it up. I think people have done a service without it, but im no sure on how they went about filling it afterwards. Also after a tranny service don't be surprised if you now hear the valve body pinging when the car is cold, for example first starting in the morning. This is common for some reason but isn't harmful. Also I would only use Audi/VW spec tranny fluid, its synthetic and oem when the car was new.

As for spark plugs, I use BOSH platnum's in mine.

I use synthetic motor oil, I was useing Castrol full syntec but recently switched to Mobil 1 full syntec. I buy the big jug at walmart since its cheaper that way and buy one extra quart. I belive its five quarts though.

As for the cluster the bulbs burn out commonly and can be changed easily with new ones, as for the P, R, N, D display this one takes a bulb that is solderd in, same goes for the ambiet temp which I bet is out also.

As for the features I have the factory keyless entry and have found out that if you have the drivers seat preset to say 1 and someone moves it around, when you unlock and open the door the seat will automaticly move back to 1, same for mirrors I think but mine don't work. It wont do this with the key lock though only the remote. Another is push the passenger's power mirror switch button in the console, and then put the car in reverse. The passengers side mirror will now drop for the curb feature when you park say next to a curb.

Thats all I can think about for now. Hoped this helped.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

great information! thanks alot!
How about the trunk opening up?

Old 11-19-2006, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Where is the AbS sensor located? Do you have pictures of it?
Also, seems like there is little oil leak from the oil filter area. Is there a speical way of doing the oil change in AUDI?
I don't see how the mechanic couldn't have tightened it properly.

As forhte spark plug, what type do I need? the part #

Old 11-19-2006, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

I got the NGK plugs, just go to a retail store and they will tell you the exact number you need (part number) Or if you want I could run to my car and could look on the box.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't know about the trunk pop issue, I have an Avant. As for the oil leak its also common. I had that when I bought my car, there is a seal in between the oil cooler and the oil pan that will break its seal when the filter is overtightend and then loosend. Its an $8 o-ring from VW and it requires the removal of the houseing and coolent lines. Search for oil cooler o-ring or alike for a DIY.

Its very easy to do an oil change in these cars. Very straight foward.

As for the ABS sensor I don't have a pic, If you go to VW and get the o-ring they pulled up a pic on the o-ring for me so they can pull up a pick of the ABS sensor locations also.

Don't forget to ask for both front and rear pic's if you get them.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

yes I need the type of spark plugs, not the brand but like the temperature type and things I don:t know what u call it.. like ngk pf6 pf5, soemthing lke that.. anyways.. what do u mean by picture of the front and back? there:s 2 sensor for abs? or u mean just get 2 different angles for the sensor location?

Old 11-20-2006, 09:45 AM
1st Gear

What I mean is when you go to VW ask them if they could bring up pictures of the front and rear ABS locations in the hubs. They have very detailed pics that are broken down with numbered items. They arent that hard to spot in the front, when the wheel is of there is a black wire that runs down to a small cylinder type sensor thats in the hub, there's also a wire for the brak pad sensor to but you will be able to see the sensor. I don't know where that back ones are becasue I never actually looked for them, but I imagine the same.

The only problem is I don't know how far to place the sensor in the hub assembly, I crushed mine the first time because when I slid the axel in I must have hit the ABS sensor and pushed it in, the axel crushed it and luckly I had a spare and that took off the dash lights but it would still kick in everytime before the car came to a stop, I just pushed it in ever so slightly and then that fixed it.

Also another very important thing to get changed is the timming belt, since the car has 98k I would hope it was done at 80 atleast, but if the previous owner dosen't know or can't remember and has no paperwork I wouldn't push it. Do that right away more than anything else. I would think you would do this yourself since you are doing all this but if not its about $700 for the T-belt. Mine was that much with the T-belt, water pump, tensioner and other items requierd o be changed at the time.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:40 PM
2nd Gear

I am also a proud owner of a 96 a6 avant. mine has 90k miles on it and runs very well. I use mann or mahle oil filter with casrtol syntec 5w40. NGK BKUR6ET-10 sparkplugs and bremi wires.

another nice feature is if you forget to close windows/moon roof if you put the key in the drivers door lock and turn to the right and hold it, it will automatically close all windows/moon roof.

I have had the tranny service done it is about $200. One thing about audis, alot of the fluids are not compatable with the general automotive fluids. the coolant is different as well as the power steering fluid(mineral oil based) brake fluid is DOT4.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

what kind of coolant do i need to put in?

Quick Reply: new 1996 a6 quattro owner, have questions