Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A6 owner....only one key :O(

Old 03-03-2006, 02:39 AM
1st Gear
Default New A6 owner....only one key :O(

I wasn't expecting to join Audi Forums.....but the test drive was all it took to sway me from BMW, at least this time around . Anyhow, nice looking forum and I'm happy to be here.

So I purchased an '01 A6 4.2 last week. Everything is great w/ the exception of only having one key. I have the remote "flip key" and no valet key to back it up.

I've done a bit of research and made a few phone calls regarding the matter and it looks as if the dealer I talked to is leading me on to make a few bucks. Dealer says they can cut a valet key, but not a remote ket. Dealer said the remote key can ONLY be made in Germany??? Is this true?

I found key programming instructions on a TT SIG, so what gives? Do I need to pay the $100 for a dealer valet key, or can I get them to cut it and program myself to save a few bucks? TIA

Aaron

Old 03-03-2006, 12:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New A6 owner....only one key :O(

Good question. I just bought a 2000 A6 2.7T and only got one key too (remote with switch blade key). Curious to see what others know about this. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

Aseem-

Dealers drive me nuts.

I've had a few dealer experiences over the years (mostly BMW) where the dealer tried to play me for a fool. Unfortunately, these experiences have made me overly cautious and even defensive at times. There's often a cheaper/easier option available, but the dealer won't divulge the info. Don't get me wrong, they don't always know all the options.....but they generally aren't interested in saving a customer a few bucks to keep them coming back in the future.

Oh well. Hope I get some responses to my querry.

Aaron

Old 03-03-2006, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

Im a locksmith, the shop has the stuff to copy and make valet key.
I did have to get a key at Audi once. The key cut to code and shipped
to the dealer for pickup was $80. New remotes are still made by Audi, the ones on
E Bay seem to all be used. Audi in 2001, starting using transponders so the key will need to be programed to the car. A programer is needed, we use a T Code computer. To copy the keys are the same if they have the high secury duplicator, check with local
locksmiths

Old 03-04-2006, 04:15 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Aaron_W

I wasn't expecting to join Audi Forums.....but the test drive was all it took to sway me from BMW, at least this time around . Anyhow, nice looking forum and I'm happy to be here.

So I purchased an '01 A6 4.2 last week. Everything is great w/ the exception of only having one key. I have the remote "flip key" and no valet key to back it up.

I've done a bit of research and made a few phone calls regarding the matter and it looks as if the dealer I talked to is leading me on to make a few bucks. Dealer says they can cut a valet key, but not a remote ket. Dealer said the remote key can ONLY be made in Germany??? Is this true?

I found key programming instructions on a TT SIG, so what gives? Do I need to pay the $100 for a dealer valet key, or can I get them to cut it and program myself to save a few bucks? TIA

Aaron

Hey I have a 01 4.2. Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry about the key. I'm sure the car will make up for it...

Old 03-06-2006, 03:10 AM
1st Gear

I actually went to the dealership last week for a second key (remote included) they told me 140 to make a replacement key... I stood behind that counter and laughed. The break down was $35 for a new key. $95 for the remote and programming and 10$ for new batteries. My suggestion is to go out ebay and buy an unused remote from someone for about 20 - 30 bucks goto audi and get the key cut and have them snap it in together. I ended up paying only $60 for my new key because $140 for a spare key is REDICULOUS!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

They don't call em "stealers" for nuthin....

Aaron

Old 03-07-2006, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

try streetkeys.com
I have programed a few of there keys
there prices are better than I can do
on my own. They will send you the key
and give you info on who they are contracted with
to cut and program the key.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

Misko.....thanks for the lead.

I'll see what I can find out.

Aaron

Old 03-08-2006, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

I'm going to check that Street Keys link, too. Just for the record I called two dealers in my area and one of them flat out refused to work with any parts I supplied, and both of them wanted something in the neighborhood of $400 for a switchblade key. I have two keys but no switchblade/no remote. The local stereo/alarm store quoted me $140 for a key chain remote so I can unlock my doors and let my girl into the car without walking around to the driver's side...

And I was happy about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New A6 owner....only one key :O(