Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A6 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 08:35 PM
1st Gear
Default New A6 questions

Hello all,

I put this post on another area, but I guess I should have made a new post as I'm doing now. Sorry, new to posts as well as Audi.

My wife and I just bought an '05 A6. We love the interior and exterior quality.

I have a couple of issues that are bugging me, though. They may have already been addressed, but I'm new to the forum.

1. We didn't get the sunroof. Is there any reason NOT to have one put on afterwards. I know it would be around 1,300 give or take. Years ago there were issues with sunroof leaks on older cars when they were added afterwards, even by the dealer.

2. Of course, you've all heard the "audi's have alot of problems, expensive to fix" stories. I'm hoping they're just stories. Comments ?

3. Last, but not least. When I test drove other cars ( such as infiniti M35 ), I noticed the engine was right over or behind the front tires.
The A6 engine seems to be a bit in FRONT of the front tires. I've also read elsewhere that Audis have nose-heavy handling because of this.
Is it my imagination, or is this just something I'll have to live with ? It bugs me more than the sunroof part. Anyone else feel this during higher speed turns ? [ If you're asking why, then, did I buy it, it's because I didn't feel that on the test drive, but I do now ]

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the questions but I'm new to the Audi world.

M ( smoothride)

Old 09-28-2005, 11:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New A6 questions

1. I don't see an issue with adding an aftermarket sunroof, as long as you trust the place and they know what they are doing and are not going for some back alley hack job. I have been told the seals on the new ones are alot better than the problems they had in the 80/90's The factory sun roof does have a tiny bit of extra support around the lip where the sunroof goes due to how they fold the metal at the factory. The factory roof will be fundamentally better than an aftermarket IMHO. I also like that the sun roof and door windows are integrated into the dirvers door key. If I want to close them and I forgot to b4 i shut the car off, insert key in door lock, turn and hold, and the car 'buttons' iteslf up. Also luv that it winds down windos too, I always use that on hot days before I get in.

2. Man, people love to bash german luxury cars, and its most often north american luxury (LOL, two words that don't go together to me) drivers that do it. No, that being said, Audi cost more to fix, ALL luxury cars do. Here, Mercedes is $115 /hr, Audi is $107 /hr. Audi parts are more expensive than Benz parts. Audi parts are more expensize than BMWs. They are certainly more than Domestic. Typically, you can expect less major problems in german luxury than domestic. Asian? depends on the car. But, I bought a german luxury car because I love to drive them, they last, the finish is amazing. I looked at Acuras TLs, totally a step down from the A6. I find Asian luxury cars look old and tired really fast. In 4-5 years, you feel like you are driving an old car, even if its still new. German cars are sophisticated machines. Even older, they turn heads. You say you drive a 10 yr old mercedes, you get more respect than if you say u drive a 10 year old lexus.

Every luxury car costs more to fix than non luxury. The A6 has great rating for its class, which is what you have to compare it too. Best way to save money, find a garage you can trust, and one that knows the car. Most mechanics like german cars, they are beautiful to work on. Trust me, I have pulled wrenches on all makes and models.

3 Not sure about the heavy nose issue. I have never found that. Iideally, should not matter where the weight is placed, its all about weight bias. Mine is a quattro, so it seems so have a very nice weight bias. It has to be close to 50/50, but the quattro will compensate. I do find that the stock supension is a bit spongy for high speed aggressive driving, but it rides nice. Check the tires, maybe they are no inflated properly. (I know that sounds lame, but tires make a work of difference. They are ONLY you drive on.) What does it feel like? I am not sure what people mean by a heavy nose? Does the nose dive excessive when you break? Does it not steer responsively? Does the body roll?

Old 09-29-2005, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Hi FootinTheGrill;

Thanks much for your advice and info.

I'm going to check the tires. Maybe that's what's affecting the ride. By "heavy nose" I mean that it's like when you're in a grocery store and were to fill up you grocery cart with the heavy items up front (milk gallons, etc...) and real light stuff (bread, cookies) in the back. Whenever I do this at the grocery store, it takes alot of effort to turn the cart. If I move the gallons of milk to the back, the front of the cart turns on a dime with little effort.

This is the best analogy I can give you. Let me know what you think.

Again, thanks for the help, and I'm going to check the tire inflation.

By the way, it is the quattro AWD and has sport package.

Regards,

Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

Did the model you test drove have the sport package? I wonder is Audi does something to the turning ratio/steering setup to make it more responsive in the sport model? Not sure, I will ask my race buddy and see what he thinks.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

Yes, the car is the same I test drove. Thanks for checking with your buddy.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

A suggestion for the moonroof. When they install it, see if they can't put in some kind of wind flow shield to prevent the reverberating noise that I get in my A6. If it works, please let me know what they did. At 60 mph it sounds like i am inside a washer machine.