Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A6 Sline owner, a few questions. Oil filter? LOL

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM
1st Gear
Default New A6 Sline owner, a few questions. Oil filter? LOL

Good day, all.. I just picked up a 2006 A6 s-line on a whim. thr car is loaded, Navi,Keyless go(smart key),s-line package. I've owned Mercedes and BMW's before. But this is my first Audi, and I am very impressed. the car is set up very well, and its really fun to drive. Its a 2006 with 86k miles, but literally looks brand new. If you can believe that.. I have a few questions.

1. (dont laugh). where is the oil filter? As stated I've owned Euro cars and am familiar with the Mann style filters. but there is usually a housing right up front that you unscrew, and I can find anything.. I plan to do a oil change this weekend. Already got the filter and 7gts of Mobil1. While Im at it, where is the air filter?

2. What is the service interval for the tranny. With 86k miles, should I change the fluid?

3. Any other maint. related items? the car has always been serviced by the stealership. But $150.00 for an oil change is a bit steep. So, I'll handle it myself.

4. the black coating on the buttons are all bubbled. the guy told me this is very common in high heat areas (like south FL). Is there a fix for this? It really bothers me. And the car is like new, beside this flaw.

5. Headlight AIM? Anyone know how to do this? I turn the white allen style screw under the hood, but nothing happens.

Thanks much,. Looking forward to wrenching on it this weekend.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

http://www.audinow.com/blogs/audinow...hange-diy.html

Not same model but can get a feel where and how.

Last edited by bigdadi; 11-05-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear

You are going to love the power of the 4.2, you will also enjoy how the solar sunroof keeps the car cool in the summer.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear

To change the oil, start by jacking up the front of the car and placing it on jackstands. Remove both front tires (you might get away with turning them but the bottom line is, they are in the way!). Remove the undertray. Now you get to see the spin on oil filter. Be sure you drain the engine not the transmission (common error at the quick change places). You will need 8 quarts of oil, not just 7.

Some people, myself included, leave the undertray off to facilitate easy oil changes. Others cut a hole on the undertray for the same reason. If you are really energetic, you could make up a door in the undertray just to expose the filter and drain plug. There are pros and cons to leaving the undertray off. In my case, the left side inner fender liner was damaged and the tray could not be re-fastened without fixing a lot of stuff so it was easier for me to leave it off. Others will argue that the undertray protects the engine from dirt and mild impacts. Still others say the undertray protects your garage floor from the inevitable oil leaks.

The air filter is in the air box on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
You will need 8 quarts of oil, not just 7.
Since he has the 4.2, it takes 10 quarts, not 8.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

I figured Id follow this up, in case anyone else has the same questions, and this comes up in a google search

The oil filter is under the hood (not under the car) under the black plastic cover (in the throttle body area), off to the right side. I knew there was no way it was underneath. Becuase the dealer does all topsided oil changes on these cars, and its a Mann style paper filter, which are always up top..

So basically, the dealer wanted $120 for an oil change that takes 10 minutes. and cost me $40 in parts, using Mobil 1. LOL

Anyway. thats it. thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

86k mi is about time to have Tranny service (fluid + filter)... ZF (tranny mfgr) recommends for prolong tranny life.

Make sure DON'T go to Pepboy or JiffyLube. This svc requires VAG-COM to monitor fluid temp, unique procedure, oil, filter, gasket kit etc.

To save money use the indy shop specializing in Audi repairs.

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...61_Catalog.pdf
ZF 6HP26A
Audii A6, A8 Series (6 Speed) (3.1L, 4.2L) 2004-2007 6 SPD AWD ---> ZF6HP26A

Last edited by bigdadi; 12-06-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear

-----

Last edited by nemohm; 12-06-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear
Default ...Might not be the case here

2006 ----

I'd suggest caution here:

The conditions - procedures for our 99-2004 cars might not apply here.
Besides the new generation of transmissions, new ATF ($$$) there have to be an element of contribution by the new players on the forum.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
2006 ----

I'd suggest caution here:

The conditions - procedures for our 99-2004 cars might not apply here.
Besides the new generation of transmissions, new ATF ($$$) there have to be an element of contribution by the new players on the forum.
This is correct.. Virtually all of the replies were not accurate, and I guess they were directed to the older model??

The oil filter IS under the hood, not under the car. And the tranny is a lifetime service interval. I did the oil myself with the top sider method. thanks

Quick Reply: New A6 Sline owner, a few questions. Oil filter? LOL