Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Audi Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 AM
1st Gear
Default new Audi Owner

Hi, New First time Audi owner and poster. I just purchased a 2008 A6 from my son. He bought it pre-loved last summer and is bored with it already. I loved it when he bought it and knew if I waited my time, it woulld be mine by summer. (He gets bored with a car very quickly) Well now I bought it from him and I'm thrilled. This is my first Audi and I am impressed. Car is smooth and rock solid. I just need to learn all the buttons. This thing has *****, buttons, dials, and all sorts of goodies to play with. I tried reading the owners manual to understand this car, but it does so many things, I will probably not use half the options this car can perform. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. More later as I get to drive it more.
Bob

Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM
1st Gear
Cool

Welcome, I'm actually a Newbie too in a few forms. My first Audi, my first foreign car and my very first post. I came from a Dodge Charger and must say while I miss the power of the HEMI I love the comfort, features and size of my Q7 especially the pana-normous moonroof!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure I'll questions once I put some miles on the car, but for now, all is new and fun.
Bob

Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome to the forum, Bob.
-
(By the way, I just love your son/parents relationship. It should be the standard from 16 yr. old and up )

Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome to the OOOO club. My A6 is also the nicest ride I have ever owned. (Not the most fun -- that tie goes to my 1974 TR6 or 2005 Chrysler Crossfire roadster) Read through the owner's manual and make sure you do all the maintnenance. These things will run forever with care and feeding, but don't do so well with neglect.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
These things will run forever with care and feeding...
Especially bottle feeding and a good pacifier (the wallet) will do the trick.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the big welcome. Nice Forum. A couple of you had the same to say about maintenance.....do it, and car will be good. I am a maintenance "nut". I usually over-maintain a car. My 02 Taurus that I sold to buy the Audi, was as good as new. My 03 Vette with 70,000 miles, looks and runs as the day I bought it new (maybe better). The only complaint I have with this Audi, is there is very little you can do youself. (even as a professional in the business over 30yrs). You can't change trans oil without special tool, you can't even turn off "service" light. I am told only dealer can reset light. Anyone know different? I'd love to hear from you. (my A6 is a 2008)
I usually perform maint during spring and change all fluids. (trans, brake, engine oil), and filters. this may sound like over-kill, but in long run, this has served me VERY well. Also, when I sell a car, it"s never "for sale" for more than a day or two.
Thanks for welcome,
Bob

Old 03-07-2011, 01:45 AM
3rd Gear

Bob,
You obviously have a C6, the "latest" and ongoing version.
I'm part of the "minority" with a C4, so please do take my words with a grain of salt.
The transmission fluid actually is changeable as a DIY job. Of course, there are at least two schools of thought: proponents and opponents.
I'm a proponent and changed mine twice, just as quite a few others around the forum.
Supposedly you need a monitoring software so you can access the fluid's temperature. VAGCom can help you do so, saving you the trip to your friendly, generous and caring dealer.
You raise the car to be on a level plane, you drain the fluid, clean the pan, install a new filter, refill until the fluid oozes out, install the plug temporarily, start the car, let it warm up to 30-35°C, cycle through each gear 10 seconds, get underneath again, top it off until it oozes again, button it up.
The trick: you need a gravity feed pump and have the car cooled off over night.
(although if you have a temp monitoring software, then the overnight "requirement" becomes obsolete)
I don't know if any 2008 and up owner has done it yet, but as far as the procedure itself you can find an extensive knowledge data base.
A Repair manual would also make a great pet - check out bentleypublishers.com
As far as the service light, VAGCom will be again your best friend...however, you cannot accomplish a reset unless you get the full (paid) version and the right connecting cable from them (Ross-tech).
OR...you can check baumtools.com. If you have a golden goose under your bed, then you can buy the latest VW/Audi scanning tool which can even make pancakes. You only need to spread the butter on top and dress it up with maple syrup.
----
Post scriptum: I changed my ATF without a temp monitoring tool. I've done it by letting the engine run 5 min, then I started cycling through gears. By the time I was under it to top it off she was already at 30-35°C. Changing the fluid improved the shifting in this old gal - 1995 production - and to date I hd/have no shifting or binding problems whatsoever .

Last edited by chefro; 03-07-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Chefro....Good info. Procedure sounds similair to late model mercedes. Fill from bottom until it spills out. ??? We'll give it a try when weather warms-up.
Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by First Audi; 03-07-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM
3rd Gear

I doubt they changed the "design" on the C6s, so - yes, sir - fill from the bottom, unless you have a lift in the shop , and can hold the pump - (slash, the quart bottle of ATF with the pump screwed in it) - at a higher, more convenient level than just laying under the car.
If you have an assistant, then it is even easier.