Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Audi owner with a few questions..

Old 02-27-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear
Default New Audi owner with a few questions..

I just bought an 04 Audi A6 S Line 2.7 T. This is my first Audi, had a 350Z prior to this, an M3 prior to that, and a smorgasboard of other sports cars, and motorcycles
this is my first 4 - door car, all my other 4 doors have bene trucks and SUV's, so I'm still getting used to it!
Anyway, onto the questions.
[ul][*]I notice a shake int he steering wheel, if I let go, it will move on it's own slightly from side to side. Years ago,I drove a friends AWD car, and it did the same thing, he told me it was the AWD.. but I'm not sure if that is true or not. Perhaps I need the alignment checked? Any thoughts?[*]I noticed on another post, the lower part of somebodys A6 had some additional molding on it (similar to the S4).. is this something that can be done after market?[*]Wheels - anybody have any thoughts on some good size wheels/tires to make it stand out? I'm open to 18's or 19's.. think 20's may be too big..may not fit? Anyway, whats a good size tire to throw on a 19?[/ul]
Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 02-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Default RE: New Audi owner with a few questions..

first one is normal with AWD because its the way the system works but should be very minor movement ( the wheels try to compensate for traction ) check the tread of the tyres for excess wear which means alighnement would be required.

the rest are mods so no interest

Old 02-27-2007, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear

A few thoughts...

Wheel shimmy would typically indicate the need for wheel balancing. Suggest you have a balancing done by a shop that has a "Hunter Roadforce Balancing System. Follow the link in my signature to my registry page and click on "Stoney's Links" (bookmark this page -- BEST resource for C5 A6 owners). Search for "Hunter" and you'll find a link to their site. They have a locator to assist you in finding a Hunter-equipped garage in your area. This system has been known to cure MANY cars with shimmy when other systems did not.

You can add the 4.2/S6 door blades very easily to a 2.7T. Provides a bit more of an aggressive look for minimal expense. Other than that, you're talking about RS6 skirts (will not work on your car -- only on a 4.2 "wide body" A6) or something by www.lltek.com.

Wheel choice is up to you, but I'd suggest you go no larger than 18" if you care about ride & performance. Ride with 19" wheels starts to get very harsh and bigger wheels weigh more. More weight = less performance. Also, you'll be running the risk of bent rims unless you live in an area free of potholes. Others will tell you 19"s are fine and you're obviously free to side with their perspective, but I've read WAY too many "bent rim" posts to think they are anything but risky on our car (different cars can run 19" wheels with a higher aspect ratio -- it's the low profile tire that increases risk of bent rims and makes for a harsh ride).

Welcome and good luck.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info guys..
For wheels, I was thinking 18's too, for ride quality.. I've had my share of 20's and bigger on cars.. looks nice, but rides terrible. I just sold the 24's off of my Avalanche because I was sick of nailing potholes.. here in Colorado, it's pothole city, especially with winter we've had!
I'll look in the door blades, as i'm looking for that more agreesive look.. I think this is the least agressive looking car I've owned.. so I need to sport it up!
Thanks
Tom

Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

Tom,

check the tie tod ends and front suspention control arms. they go bad this may have something to do with the shaking.

also as far as performance is concerned you should be very happy compred to you're M3. a chip and piggie Dp's and you are much faster than the M3

Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

Where in CO are you. My company almost moved me there and one thing I remember was trying to find a reputable AUDI dealer or Eurpean Independent. Mostly Trucks and SUV's in CO. Didnt see alot of high end Euro's running around. Who will do your maintenance? Definitely go with 18's..they are conservative and good looking without sacrificing the ride...and if you have sport suspension with 19's you are going to hate life....well, your back will be screaming bloody murder...hehe

Old 02-27-2007, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

I live in Aurora, a suburb just outside of Denver.. Audi dealers are few and far between here, the best one is called Prestige Imports in Lakewood..so I will probably end up taking it there. One reasonI wasvery hesitant about buying an Audi is all of the nightmares I have heard about reliability and maintenance. I have a friend who used to be a service advisor for a VW dealership.. he told me I made a mistake in buying an Audi.. I hope he is wrong..

What are piggie Dp's? I really enjoyed my M3, even though it was the slowest of any sports car I've owned...I just liked the look ad feel of it.. and it handled like no other..when I want speed, I usually just hop on my motorcycle anyway.

You are correct, mostly trucks and SUV's, and after this winter and the 6+ foot of snow we got over a 4 week period, more and more people are buying them....I have an Avalanche that gets driven in the winter.. this will be the first time I have a car I can actually drive in the snow..traction control is ok, but nothing comapred to the Quattro..

Old 02-27-2007, 10:51 PM
3rd Gear

As above, suggest you have the alignment and wheel balance checked. I can let go my wheel and there is no noticeable shake at any speed. It tracks straight.

Don't go larger than 18s and keep your stock wheels with all-season rubber for the winter. Two of my 18 rims have slight bends from hitting potholes, but all hold air. I even tore the sidewall on my 17" Pirelli over in Detroit when I hit an unseen pothole. Also, as you know, the ride deteriorates as you have less rubber to soak up the bumps.

Make sure you do all the required maintenance and allow the turbos (the oil) to warm up a little in cold weather before hard acceleration. The only major problems I've had were a rear transmission seal (fixed under warranty) and an alternator at 68k. I bought the car less than two years ago with 34k and just turned 90k. It's not as reliable and maintenance free as my 2002 Saturn VUE, but it's a boatload more fun, better looking, faster, and more comfortable. Anyway, I gave the VUE to my oldest daughter when she went to college and used that as an excuse (with my spouse) to buy the A6.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:28 AM
2nd Gear

Reliability is all about the driver and the drivers habits....Well, most of it anyways...Take care of your turbos. This seems to be the consensus for the 2.7t. Warmup and cool down is very important. Do your oil changes and maintenance by the book and never stray. Take the time to get to know the car. This forum is a great start. Always ask questions and get codes from the dealer when they work on it so you can do the research and understand the nature of the beast. You can drive it hard and have fun without beating on it. Do this and you will have worry free times aside from the occassional CEL or failed part. Its not a chevy, its a complicated machine. Take care of it and it will take care of you. BTW--you will be the envy of all the dudes stuck in the ditch with their 4x4's as you pass them by with your A6. Uncomparable handling and agility on snow and ice. Read up on the ESP and you will be impressed.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Anybody have any good tips on best thing for warm up and cool down.. the finace drives it quite a bit, so gettign her to stick to it may be hard.. I guess if something goes wrong, I'll make her pay to fix it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Audi owner with a few questions..