Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Audi owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:12 PM
1st Gear
Default New Audi owner with some questions

I just purchased a 2001 A6 Quattro. Its got 116,000 miles on it. How many miles, realistically, should I expect to get out of this car? It was owned by one guy who bought it new in July of 2001, has had no accidents, rotors changed a few times and had some work done on the door locks at one point? Is this car going to last me until its paid off in 3 years?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

Can you verify if/when the timing belt was done?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

It says nothing on the carfax about a timing belt on the carfax. The water pump was replaced at 92,000 though, which judging from some of the posts here is a good thing, I think.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

Usually the timing belt is done the same time the water pump. Too bad you can't verify that though.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

you think if I call the dealership they will tell me? It lists the dealership on the carfax? I'd like to know. Also, I need to get a new center console cupholder...any good pleaces I should look at online to get one for a good price. i have someone who can replace it for me. I found one on ebay for $35...is that a good price for a used one?

Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
3rd Gear

You didn't mention which engine and how many miles you drive in a year. I bought mine with 37k in April 2005 and now have 157k on it. Major repairs were an alternator, clutch/flywheel, and front axle covers. Otherwise it is oem and running fine. I realistically expect over 200k out of it with regular maintenance.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

Its a 2.7 T...is that the engine? Srry, I truly am having a dumb blond girl moment. It has 116,000 and I live about 1/8 of a mile from my house but I managed to put 49,000 on my Jeep in 3 years, so I could realistically put that many on a year, although I'm going to try to be a little more conservative with this car.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Taz Monkey
Its a 2.7 T...is that the engine? Srry, I truly am having a dumb blond girl moment. It has 116,000 and I live about 1/8 of a mile from my house but I managed to put 49,000 on my Jeep in 3 years, so I could realistically put that many on a year, although I'm going to try to be a little more conservative with this car.
Pretend the timing belt was never changed, so replace it, it's better to be safe than sorry, also have the turbos checked out to see what shape it's in; seals and shaft play, this will determine the condition of the turbo and the life expectancy. Inspect and or replace all vac lines.

Is it a manual or auto?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Taz Monkey
...I live about 1/8 of a mile from my house but I managed to put 49,000 on my Jeep in 3 years, so I could realistically put that many on a year, although I'm going to try to be a little more conservative with this car.
I guess I'm the one having a dumb blonde girl moment to understand why you live afar from your house, which is only 1/8 mile distance away. On the same note, how many 1/8 mile round-trips need to make in a year to put on the clock 49,000 miles?
Good luck with your purchase.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
I guess I'm the one having a dumb blonde girl moment to understand why you live afar from your house, which is only 1/8 mile distance away. On the same note, how many 1/8 mile round-trips need to make in a year to put on the clock 49,000 miles?
Good luck with your purchase.
Wondering the exact same thing. I would assume you should be good for 5 years up to 200,000 miles. These cars do have a lot of small problems but as long as they're kept in shape they should last a long, long time. If you're a DIY'er buy a bentley manual and a VAGcom they'll become your best friends. Expect for a DIY'er to spend around $1000 on maintance issues annually plus tires. They're amazing cars and part's are not super expensive but the mainance is time consuming and cost's a lot if going to the dealer. Expect to buy stuff like CV joints, Tierods, waterpump, secondary water pump among other things.

Check with your dealer with mainance already done as they keep a list of everythings that been done with that VIN

Quick Reply: New Audi owner with some questions