Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Audi, want to buy A6

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Default New to Audi, want to buy A6

Hello everyone!

As the title says, I am new to the audi world and came across this forum to ask for help. I am looking to buy an Audi A6, probably the 2001 model. Im looking at some cars with mileages around the 70k-90k. I know Japanese cars(as I am coming from an Acura CL) are still good for these kind of mileage but do not know about this European car.

How long can I expect this car to last if maintained well?
Any information about common issues/problems with this A6 car?
Any info would be great, really would appreciate it!

Thank you, Alan.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 AM
2nd Gear

See the sticky at the top of the Forum page. Audis require much more maintenance than any Japanese car, but will last longer. An Audi can easily outlast your bank account....

Old 09-18-2008, 02:33 PM
3rd Gear

If maintained well, they will run a long time. I'm at 118k and expect 200k out of her. Only unexpected failure was an alternator at 74k. Make sure you have the timing belt done in the 80-90k range and expect to spend $1000-1800 depending on whether you have an indie or a dealer do it.

There are so many bells and whistles on this car that it is easy to have little things fail and be annoying, although the don't typically affect ride or performance. Just have it thoroughly checked out by a mechanic before buying in case the previous owner did not take care of it.

I agree that an equivalent Lexus may be more reliable, but I don't expect much out of them for looks, performance, or running in the snow. Quattro is AWESOME.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:40 PM
2nd Gear

i'm @ 186k without any major failures so far

Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 PM
3rd Gear

Audis are well driving cars. As for its reliability, you have to pay to play. Once again as mentioned by the others, major mechanical bits are as good as any Japanese counter parts, but when it comes down to its electrical and miscellaneous bells and whistles, it WILL go bad on you. And it is not cheap in comparison to let say a Toyota.

But even with all that said, I still own and love my 2001 A6 Avant. I was just telling my friend the other day, that even if I win a lotto, I will keep the car. Just put some sports suspension and a supercharger on it.

Anyways, here are somethings to look for:
1. Timing belt, water pump, tensioners and related stuff. Make sure they are done.
2. Audi V6s of this vintage are notorious for oil leak around cam seals, cam tensioner seals, and valve cover. Make sure there is no leak. Preferably they replaced the seals and gaskets already.
3. If you are looking for 2.7T, then ask about the turbos. See if they are in good order.
4. Check the oil change interval especially for turbo cars. Oil sludge can be a big issue.
5. O2 sensors, catalytic converters and the related ECU programing can be big ticket items. Check to make sure the previous owner upgraded ECU programming.

Other than that, it is usual car buying things. Brakes, fluids, suspension and etc are in good mechanical order. An owner or a car with all the record history is a good sign. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

Here in SA, most newish cars under 100 000km have a freeway plan which covers everything (all service costs, main, etc) excl. tyres and petrol.

I myself would not want to own such a vehicle outside of a freeway plan, as if something goes wrong it can cost a plenty..! eg; multitronic gearbox went on my 03 A6 at 70 000km, it cost R75 000 to repair (luckily covered in the freeway plan).

Old 09-19-2008, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

Buy mine! 80k miles, warranty and service done... lots of new parts: all suspension, control arms, TRE, tires, fr brakes....

The sticky will help! good luck in yuor search