Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW CAR! 2002 A6 4.2 Tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:19 AM
1st Gear
Default NEW CAR! 2002 A6 4.2 Tip

I just picked up a 2002 A6 4.2 tip with premium/sport/navigation! The car has 74,750 miles and is in immaculate shape! Still have all books, 2 keys and original window sticker of 54,175. I have a 2006 Cayenne, and this car drives every bit as smooth and is much more powerful (have v6 cayenne loaded). I had a 99 A6 2.8 about 5 years ago and loved it. This is black on black. I do my own mechanic work, so i took the engine under tray off to have a peak. No oil or coolant leaks as far as the eye can see under there. I did notice that the ribbed serpentine belt looks brand new (no cracks at all)

I have read through the maintenance booklet that came with the car from the factory, and it says that should be replaced at 80k, and that is about 5k from now...makes me wonder if they have replaced the t-belt as well this early (105k per manual)

I have a 10k mile oil change interval on the cayenne, and according to the manual, this car is no different with its 8 qt oil/filter change. The manual says dino or synthetic oil is fine...any preference (sure that is a can of worms) It also suggest 0w30 or 5w30....I would assume 10w30 is fine as well?

Anyways, I am thinking of taking a look at the spark plugs and seeing there condition as well. One thing that really pissed me off was when I called the audi dealer to find out if there were open recalls or tsb's on the car (which there weren't) I asked about any other maintenance that had been performed and was told because of privacy reasons, they couldn't tell me...what the heck? I didn't want the previous owners names...just what has been done...sounds like they want to dupkicate work that has been done on my car....

Trev

Old 04-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Site Moderator

Its not legal for a shop not to disclose previous work history, you can report a shop to AOA (audi of america) for that.
I would highly recommend pulling the timing belt cover off and looking at the timing belt. Most likely it hasn't been changed because an audi dealer will charge over $2,000 for this service. The belt should be changed no later than 90k.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Its not legal for a shop not to disclose previous work history, you can report a shop to AOA (audi of america) for that.
I would highly recommend pulling the timing belt cover off and looking at the timing belt. Most likely it hasn't been changed because an audi dealer will charge over $2,000 for this service. The belt should be changed no later than 90k.
I figured that sounded like a load of crap...I will just call a different dealer instead. Typically, with most of your original audi, mercedes, bmw,lexus drivers, I would assume they would take it to the dealer for most everything, right?

Is a 10,000 mile oil change okay? I find it interesting the book says they put dino oil in it from the factory and not to change it for 10k....

Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear

Oil changes are the cheapest thing you can do to maintain your car- a little more in Audi's cause your using MOBIL 1 but 10K is rediculous that's almost a year for most people isn't protecting your ride worth more than that. Not to mention it will help keep the sludge buildup down. I still change mine at 3-4K but I only do 8K per year. The other thing is the spark plugs they say are rated for 60-100K, My *** that doesn't take into account that any thing else in your engine could foul them and over the course of 60K they know your receipt will be long gone. Use your common sense they are trying to appeal to the Lazy people.
Also change the trans filter and fluid I have thread on here somewhere read that first then you can give Auditech79 a buzz for anything else.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:17 AM
2nd Gear

Oil changes are the cheapest thing you can do to maintain your car- a little more in Audi's cause your using MOBIL 1 but 10K is rediculous that's almost a year for most people isn't protecting your ride worth more than that. Not to mention it will help keep the sludge buildup down. I still change mine at 3-4K but I only do 8K per year. The other thing is the spark plugs they say are rated for 60-100K, My *** that doesn't take into account that any thing else in your engine could foul them and over the course of 60K they know your receipt will be long gone. Use your common sense they are trying to appeal to the Lazy people.
Also change the trans filter and fluid I have thread on here somewhere read that first then you can give Auditech79 a buzz for anything else.

Also check Carfax sometimes they list some repairs on there but I would speak to the dealer again.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

thanks alot! I have always been big on doing the maintenance...preventative is just that....I will look on the forums about the tranny fluid change....I want to knock that out...

Trev