AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   new exhaust (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/new-exhaust-41312/)

prbayha 09-13-2006 10:52 PM

new exhaust

So, I get my car back from the autobody tomorrow with the 2002 bumper installed with exhaust cut-outs. I've been without the car for 3 weeks (trouble getting parts) I have located some nice dual wall magnaflow exhaust tips for $80 off the magnaflow site. Someone told me that I will need to get exhaust pipe adapters (2-2 1/2")(I havent measured the diameter) rings to weld on to the pipe where the downturn pipes were cut. Is this correct? I assume this will be needed so there is material for the new tips to be welded to? Is there anything I am missing? Can a shop like Midas do the work or should procure these extensions from an auto parts store? I am excited to get this done. It will greatly improve the looks of the car. Anybody have any performance muffler and/or exhaust tip suggestions before I have the tips installed? ? Thanks for all the input in advance.

slee22 09-14-2006 12:57 AM

RE: new exhaust

Yeah an exhaust shop will probably just cut off the turn downs and weld new pipe to extend it out for the tips.

CamoA6 09-14-2006 01:50 PM

Go to LLTek.com they have a kit for the turn down A6 exhaust. http://www.lltek.com/PRS_bin/PRS_101...aclft_tips.htm There. thats the whole kit which is cheep and has instructions. Acording to this you could have kept your old bumper and just cut holes for the new exhaust. Id say what you did was the safer way though. I'm looking to do the same thing. though.

prbayha 09-14-2006 10:12 PM

I thought I would start a new thread on this becasue it is something everybody should know if they are planning on upgrading exhaust on a pre-facelift A6 (98-2001). BTW-Thanks to camoa6 for the advice and the link to LLTek's site http://www.lltek.com/PRS_bin/PRS_101...aclft_tips.htm So, as most of you know, I got rear-ended and thought this would be an excellent opportunity to upgrade to the 2002 bumper skin for the visible dual exhaust. I found out that I also had to upgrade the heat shield that sits a top both mufflers and folds down the inside of the bumper for 2 reasons. First, the downturn exhaust has a different heat shield to protect the bumperskin/molding/parktronic pieces from getting to hot and causing damage ($$$$). Second, the heatshield is also a mounting point for the bumper skin. So, the shop ordered the 2002 bumper for me and noticed right away during pre-fit that the mounting holes did not line up, and that the heatshield for the downturn exhaust would not work. If you were to use LLTek's kit to cut the holes yourself you would have to cut the heatshield the exact diameter of the exhaust holes in the bumper skin. Now, this would leave a gap between the heatshield and the bumper skin because of the way the heatshield turns downward for the factory set-up. Water, dirt, snow, sludge (you name it) would be thrown up from the rear tires in this hole collecting inside your bumper skin. Obviously, this would not be good. So, I had to purchase the piece for $139 from Audi. This piece is necessary because the new bumper skin lines up for mounting perfectly. With this proper installation set-up, heat will be dispursed correctly with no potential damage to the rear of the car. LLTek obviously did not do their homework and their Kit seems really cheesy. The molding to put around your holes once you cut them is cheap. I cant believe that the molding wouldn't fall off with time due to just a pressure fit. I don't buy it. In fact, in my opinion, a lot of LLTek's gear for the AUDI line seems to be really cheap and their applications are not well though out. Guys, if your going to do the MOD, buy the bumper skin and the heatshield, and you can drive away from your shop confident that it was installed correctly. If ya go cheap, well, you get what you pay for. I will post pics of the car soon. Looks really funny without the tips...If you have any other questions, please let me know.

audia6min 11-02-2006 03:13 PM

Do you have a part number for the heat sheild? $139 doesn't seem to bad to have a perfect install.

I'm in the same boat for being rear ended and wanting the open exhaust look.

prbayha 11-02-2006 04:17 PM

This is the part numbers for standard body C5 2.7T's and 3.0 models. The 4.2 is different because of the width.

Heat Shield

Part Number = 4b0804172 pass side 4b0804171 driver side
Cost = $60.57 each

Bumper Skin

Part Number = 4b5807301h
Cost = $643.17

These are part numbers and costs for a 2002 model A6 (which is what you need for the MOD) If you have your autobody guy do the work, they can usually get a price break on the parts. Good Luck!!

audia6min 11-02-2006 11:40 PM

Thank you for your help, but do you have the 4.2 part numbers? I have a 4.2 same as you according to your signature.

Thank you!

cary12 11-03-2006 12:22 AM

I have a 4.2 and have not had any luck on finding anything that will work with my car. Easiest thing to do is to go to a local performance shop and get an estimate on what it would cost for mufflers and to cut them into the bumper. If anyone has any other info that works with the 4.2, I would like it also.

prbayha 11-03-2006 02:13 AM

Simply Put: To do the job correctly requires aprroximately $1900.00 (this is what my guy charged me) I have a complete OEM style rear end on the car. The heatshield, bumper skin and the fitment, is perfect and functional, and a mirror image of a 2002. The cheaper route is cutting. If your handy, i prolly wouldn't be an issue, but the aftermarket kits I've seen have flaws. I dunno, there are pros and cons to both.

The heatshield was $139 and the bumper skin was roughly $600 or so. They charged me more for labor/paint blah blah. You could go buy these straight from a delaer or get elsewhere and have it painted and mount it yourself. Its simple nuts, bolts, retainer clips and time--lots of time. I guy could do it for less than a grand if you wanna get your hands dirty.

audia6min 11-03-2006 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: prbayha

Simply Put: To do the job correctly requires aprroximately $1900.00 (this is what my guy charged me) I have a complete OEM style rear end on the car. The heatshield, bumper skin and the fitment, is perfect and functional, and a mirror image of a 2002. The cheaper route is cutting. If your handy, i prolly wouldn't be an issue, but the aftermarket kits I've seen have flaws. I dunno, there are pros and cons to both.

The heatshield was $139 and the bumper skin was roughly $600 or so. They charged me more for labor/paint blah blah. You could go buy these straight from a delaer or get elsewhere and have it painted and mount it yourself. Its simple nuts, bolts, retainer clips and time--lots of time. I guy could do it for less than a grand if you wanna get your hands dirty.
I agree with the correct way, I have the rear bumper cover on order from the dealer, 2002 without P/A 4B4807303FGRU 4.2L Prbayha do you have the part numbers for the 4.2 heat sheild? I'm looking to do what you did, but I can't find the part number for the 4.2L heat sheild. I have your part numbers for the 2.7 and 3.0 body style and tried to cross reference the part numbers at the dealer, but they were not able to find what I was looking for. Thanks in advance!