Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here so introduction and A6 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear
Default New here so introduction and A6 questions

Hi all,
I am new here so thought I would introduce my self and ask for your advice. Imoved from England about 8 weeks ago and nowlive in the Lancaster PA area. I am looking at buying an Audi A6. This would be my first Audi having had to have sold my Volvo to move and being a Mercedes fan since that is what my family has always had. I am looking at the A6 as it seems to offer good value for money (I can find an A6 Quattro with around 80K miles for $9K where as I can not find an E320 with less than100K miles for less than $10K). I would look at another Volvo as the one I have just sold was a great car, but for one reason or another I just want a change.

So what was the A6 like from 2000 on? it looks like they changed a few things in 2002 so how were they after then? Basically I want something that will be reliable and run for 5-6 years without any major problems? Also how would you say the ride and handling is compared to Volvo's or Mercedes?
Thanks
James

Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: New here so introduction and A6 questions

Before I bought my 2001 A6 avant I drove a 99 BMW 528iT. During the purchasing process, I test drove 01 E320 4 motion wagon and 04 V50 FWD turbo wagon. I did not drive a V70, so I can't comment on the larger Volvo. Anyways, here are my comparisons:

528iT: I had a sport package, so the ride was very stiff. Steering is precise but very stiff compared to the others. The most sporty of all the above.

E320 4 motion wagon: Ride was extremely soft and plush. I say it felt most luxurious out of them all. Had all the bells and whistles, but for me, it was too muchlike a boat. If you like that sort of thing, it will be a good bet.

V50 FWD wagon: Of course, it was very nimble and quick feeling, but I felt like I was driving a Japanese compact import. It is not as refined as the others. But non the less, very sporty, and well handling. It does not have all the bells and whistles like the others.

A6 Avant: It is a good balance between the bimmer and the merc. I really like the quattro and the drivetrain, including the transmission, is the best. I don't have to put on chains now when I travel to the snow. Suspension is not as sporty as the bimmer, but it sure is a leap from themerc. I have to admit though, that my A6lacks all the bells and whistles that the bimmer and merc had, but things like auto adjusting steering column, steering controls, self-dimming mirrors, CD changers and etc were all options that could have came with the car. It is just that mine didn't have those options.

Considering you are asking this question on an Audi forum, you will get an opinionated advise.For my current use and need I would have to say my Audi is the best. But I guess it will all depend on your personal taste. Have fun car shopping

Old 01-11-2008, 02:30 PM

I have test driven Mercedes, Audi, and Volvo...I personally prefer Audi because of its AWD, performance record, and tunability. Yet, the only catch for owning an Audi or Mercedes is the cost of maintenance in comparison to owning a Volvo. However if you keep up the maintenance of the Audi, it can last a long time and the quality of the cardoes not suffered from merging or being own by another car manufactures unlike Mercedes and Volvo.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:01 PM
1st Gear

My wife had an 03 V70 which is a very nice car. With the 2.4t engine, it is quick when it needs to be, but not overly fast. The seats are unbeatable in comfort!!!

I drive an 03 A6 2.7t. The car is much quicker than the Volvo and has a nicer interior, minus the comfort of the seats. Not that my seats are bad, just Volvo's are the best of the best.

I think many around here will agree that if you want dependability, avoid the turbo cars and go for the 3.0 or 4.2 if you want the quattro, or if AWD is not an issue, the 2.8.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

"'I am looking at the A6 as it seems to offer good value for money (I can find an A6 Quattro with around 80K miles for $9K where as I can not find an E320 with less than100K miles for less than $10K)."

Everything comes with its price.

Why used Audis are so cheap?

Get familiarity with the maintenance costs of the "maintenance hog" and then consider buying one.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

It really depends on your personality and what you are looking for.
For looks I like the Audi better by far. It also has the best interior, although Volvo makes the best seats.
I find driving the Volvo very... boring, very anemic cars, nothing exciting but they are safe and will keep running. mercedez are pricey, a lot are torquey and for soem reason I could never buy/drive one.... Just not my type I guess. Mostly I am a big Audi fan, love the Quattro and Turbo engine. I also think that 2000-2004 A6look great, different... That drove me to it too inaddition to the 2.7 BiTurbo engine of the S4. I would take an A6 4.2 over the Volvo or Merc too though. the 4.2 A6 is probably less of a headache than the 2.7T and its wide body is sexy! 2.7T is highly moddable and can put down soem serious HP, but if you're not into it and will never mod it, get the 4.2. It drives real nice, has plenty of torque and power to start with and looks awesome. The 4.2 and 2.7T stock are close in performance, the 2.7T feel quicker and nimbler especially at lower speeds, but the 4.2 is a little faster at higher speeds. Now you just chip the 2.7T for $600 and it is a different story!