AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   New to owning an Audi and need some advice please (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/new-owning-audi-need-some-advice-please-150367/)

welshandy63 05-12-2010 05:38 AM

New to owning an Audi and need some advice please

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a A6 2.5TDi 2003,with 138,000 miles. I need some advice please on a couple of items.

1) Does the Triptronic gear box fluid ever need replacing,as the service book say change @ 40,000miles,but the garage i bought the car from says it's sealed for life?

2) one of the key fobs has stopped operating the central locking. I have replaced the battery and tried reprogramming using the method in the user guide but no joy. Is it a trip to Audi's and lots of £££'s or is their another way???

3) Was getting a loud drumming noise from the o/s front,which u could also feel through the pedals. Have had the front wheel bearings replaced and i it is a lot better but u can still hear something. Could it be a warped disc,or road/tyre noise the car is fitted with 235/45 tyres,or is their another possibility?

Any help on the above would be very apprciated

ninetynineA6Q 05-12-2010 12:39 PM

If you search for "transmission fluid," you'll find a lot of posts about it here. I just changed the fluid in my wife's 1999 A6 quattro for the first time at 230K miles because it wasn't shifting well, and the fluid actually looked pretty good, but the shifting has definitely improved with the new fluid.

I bought the kit from Blauparts, and the procedure was a lot simpler than I had heard, but still not as easy as any American car/truck I've ever owned. I wouldn't assume that there are any transmissions out there that never need new fluid (and I've heard that these are very expensive to repair) so $120 seems like cheap insurance.

jhuffman 05-12-2010 01:16 PM

A transmission that is sealed for life??? You might want to do a good bit of other research into things that are maintenance concerns if your garage thought that.

nemohm 05-12-2010 01:56 PM

Coffins are sealed for life – after dead...

As for the fob - you could save some £££ if you get one from ebay, then cut it otside the dealers.

The remote should be possible to reprogram following the owners manual.

The immo - dealers only.

The charge is usually the same for reprogramming up to 4 fobs.

welshandy63 05-14-2010 05:26 AM

Update
Have spoken to Audi and according to them the "Triptronic" Gearbox is sealed for life and the "Multitronic" has a fluid change every 40,000miles @ £169.62 inc VAT!!!!

nemohm 05-14-2010 11:17 AM

Keep talking with AUDI...
Most of the people here have gone those road years ago…. Choice is yours – take the knowledge from here or follow AUDI…

hxgaser 05-14-2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by welshandy63 (Post 1206295)
Update
Have spoken to Audi and according to them the "Triptronic" Gearbox is sealed for life and the "Multitronic" has a fluid change every 40,000miles @ £169.62 inc VAT!!!!

Audi's definition of life time is about 100,000 miles. Multitronic, aka CVT is a timebomb waiting to blow no matter what.

mystrodo 05-14-2010 02:09 PM

Your trannie is basically an hydralic pump..they like to be properly lubed and cleaned to behave right, kinda like your heart :)
I'd say every 50k or so..proper fluid is spendy and do it properly for the full flush..they also update some programing on certain series of ZF's. In the US figure approx $1K us every 50-70 k if your not a DIY'er and this isn't really a DIY IMO...sooo well worth it if you like the car though.

welshandy63 05-28-2010 07:05 PM

Thanks for the info guys, been surfing web about this and now i doubt which gearbox i have is it "multitronic" or "tiptronic. My has P,R,N,D,S and the manual shift,no paddles on steering wheel.
thanks