Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rear Brakes. Have questions????

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:24 PM
1st Gear
Default New Rear Brakes. Have questions????

Went in for the 60k service today and was told the rear brakes need to be replaced. Down to 15%.
I had the front done when I bought the car less than a year ago and they said that the fronts were down to 75%, in about 12k miles. That doesn't seem right to me. I was quoted $345 for the rear job, sound fair?
Is this something a newbie like me could do? I have the common knowledge of working on cars, so I wouldn't be too afraid of tearing into it. Are there any instructions available online? What are the different kinds to get and kinds of brakes to stay away from. Any thoughts would help. Thanks. I did some searches on this subject already and couldn't find the info I needed. No flaming please.
2001 A6 2.8L Quattro

Old 07-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Default RE: New Rear Brakes. Have questions????

it'll cost you about $40 for the pads ands an hour of your time...but you need a special tool to get the piston retracted. luckily, a buddy of mine had the part.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

I should clarify a little, they also said I needed the rotors replaced too. All I was told is that they were too thin to use again. This is coming from the service department at the dealership I bought the car at. They wouldn't replace the rear brakes under warranty because they have to be below 20%. They did the fronts before 50K. You would of thought that the certified check off list would of caught that. I wonder sometimes about theses service departments. If it seems fishy, it must be fishy. I going to check another place in town the works on Audi's. Or maybe Midas??

Old 07-29-2005, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear

You can get Brembo (OEM) rotors for $75ea on Tirerack.com as well as the pads.
I purchased Brembo's for my other car, they are great.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

OK, one more time, I didn't get the answers before maybe someone will help out now. How hard is it to do this rear brake job?
I know what parts to get, 288 rear rotors. What kind of pads give off the least amount of brake dust? Thanks.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

Hmm, 12K miles and they are 75%.. So in theory, you could go 48K miles in total on the front pads, and you think that's bad???? Man, I used to only get 15-20K miles on my Mercedes front pads. The amount of mileage you get is dependent on how you drive and where you drive, but seems normal to me, actually, better than normal.

Rear brakes aren't hard to do, a bit harder than the fronts though, because you have to deal with the emergency brakes. Never done the A6's , but i suspect that you don't need the special tool, you should be able to spin the caliber back in using pliers. Its a clockwise turn acording to the manual.

I take it the rear rotors are totally shot? Usually they last a long time.

I never turn rotors, I think its a waste of time. You spend money to take out tiny grooves that don't impeed brake performance. (Could actually improve brake performance because the grooves actually increase surface area one the bad wear to fit.) A turned rotor also warps more easily. If they are that bad that they really really need turning, they are shot. Take the $20 - $30 and spend it on new ones instead.

Usually the pads that give off the least dust also tear apart rotors the fastest. A softer pad usually gives the best brake performance too. I too would like pads that give off the least dust, but provide as good a braking as the softer messy ones. Its a compromise, I take the better breaking ones.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:11 AM
1st Gear

I give up................[:'(]

Old 10-09-2005, 03:37 AM

I have a 2000 A6 4.2 and I'm trying to replace the rear pads but I can't get the rear pistons to retract. I tried rotating the piston but it just spins and I don't know anyone who has a tool. Any suggestions or recommendations as to where to buy the tool?

Old 10-10-2005, 04:26 PM

The special tool can be ordered here:
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...&engine=V6+30v

Old 10-16-2005, 12:12 AM

My way to deal with tools is simple.
I learned it while living in us 3 years so far.
Go to the big chain store ( Wallmart, Pepboys, Autopart etc, ) buy tools you to fix ur car keep recive and after u donne return it to the store.
Saved some $ so far.
mfg
kupiec79