Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie buying today: Advice on 97' A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Default Newbie buying today: Advice on 97' A6 Avant

Hello members.

I'm new at this forum and I’ll appreciate some inputs.

This afternoon probably I’ll buy a '97, A6 wagon 2.8L Quattro with 135k on it. Asking price is 3400$ and i personally know the owner. The car has been in his family since new, him being the second owner. I been told timing belt was done @ 88k and there's a complete service record done by a local shop (non-Audi dealership). Needs new tires, has minor scratches and main use will be for Winter and i dream on doing long trips across the USA (I drive a Crossfire rest of the time).

Questions:
-Contol Cruise doesn't work...electronic module fried...easy fix or live with it? (ALL other electronic options work, Kudos to Audi on a 12 year old car))
-Recommended tires (all season)
-Thermostat location...necessary replace?
-Spark plug and wires (really Bosch necessary? Saprks Iridium or something cheaper?)
-PCV valve...replacement? Audi calls it something else? Location on TB?
-Air filters. Is integrated on engine cover? K&N offer more oomph?
-Recommended oil (5-w30 would do?) Fram High millage filter?
-Fuel filter location? How to release fuel pressure on lines.....
-Transmission: Flushing is accessible?

Thanks in advance and hopefully i will post pictures ASAP...

NOTE: Owner even kept the original dealer window sticker....

Cheers.

Last edited by deepsurge; 09-02-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:16 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like a fair price for the car. Here is my opinion, others may have different views:

Cruise control - let it go unless you plan long trips.
Tires - lots of opinions. Pirelli, Michelin, Continental, Goodyear, Hankook, Khumo. Make sure you get them balanced at a shop that knows what they are doing.
Thermostat should have been done when the TB was done. If not, save it for the next time the TB job comes up.
Spark Plugs - the cheaper they are, the more often you have to replace them, but I have been getting good use out of Autolite Platinum for $1.99 each.
PCV Valve (AKA Spyder Pipe) - I don't know for sure about this on the 2.8.
Air filter - paper is fine. K&N won't give you enough "kick" to be worth the extra dough.
Oil - lots of opinions on this, but a good synthetic 5w-30 will do the trick.
Oil filter - any. Not much difference. The key is to change it on a regular basis.
Fuel filter - under the car, dirver's side (IIRC). Supposed to be easy.
Transmission - leave well enough alone! Seems more people have problems due to improper filling than anything else.

Good luck and enjoy!

Bob

Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM

Hello again. And thanks Bob.

I'm writting now as the happy owner of a '97, A6 wagon 2.8L Quattro with 122k miles (not 135k as i posted earlier). I bought it last week...
I have quick question: There's a brake light form the pad wear sensor on the dash. Brake pads are aftermarket....is there a possibility of grounding the wear sensor? I read that:

"many aftermarket brake pad sets do not have the sensors installed. Therefore, the old sensors must be cut off the old pads, the wire insulation stripped, the wires twisted together, wrap them in electrical tape, fold them over and tie wrap the whole thing up. Then plug it into the car side harness. This maintains continuity in the circuit, which will prevent the brake pad wear sensor light from coming on."

Is that accurate for an 1997 A6? Are sensors in the rear breaking pads too?

Thanks. A happy owner

Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear

Brake sensor are only on the front - If the pads are OK you can just jumper the connector on the 97.

I agree with everything Bob said except for the oil filter -- I always use Mann filters because they have an internal check valve

Old 09-16-2009, 10:32 PM

For the 1997 A6 Quattro wagon with C4 chassis, check the fluid level of the front, center and rear differentials. Also, the ATF and filter must be changed every 45,000 miles or sooner for the automatic transmission with the four bolt pan. You may get ATF refill kits from www.blauparts.com.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Appraciate the input. More questions....

NH_USA...By jumper meaning as shown in picture? (close circuit)
I just changed oil..used Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter. Next time will check Mann (OEM like)

a6hcw..Thanks for the link. Yep, is the four bolt. I'll change my list of priorities on the ATF.

Things to do maintenance:

-Replace fluid transmision+filter & check transfer fluids.
-Fuel filter
-PCV valve---audi--Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, worth cleaning it up. See
http://audi.kris-hansen.com/icv.htm
-Wiring sets

-Air filter+Oil change@ 126K (oil done when
purchased with 122500mi, 3k intervals) 5qts,
5w30, full synn.---->DONE. 09/12/09
-Grease door & moonroof.--->DONE. 09/14/09
-New tires (set of four)--->DONE

--------------------------------------------------
Problems

-Brake light IP--->jumper
-Squeaky blower--->oil it.
-Door locks---> Vacuum pump Graphite disc????
-Cruise control--->check module solder connections. Sand it and use electronic connector fluid.

Thanks.

Attached Images