Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs some advise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Default Newbie needs some advise.

First let me say hello and you guys have a well set up forum. I am a converted Volvo R owner. I bought a 2004 A6 S-Line with 59K miles on it this weekend. I drove about 250 miles to pick it up. On the way home I ran into a couple problems I would like to run by you.

When I first filled the car up with gas about 20 miles later the check engine light came on I am guessing something with the fact I "clicked" the cap about 5 times after filling the car. When I was almost home I decided to see what it had top end wise. After a full throttle sprint to about 125 MPH the engine oil min light sounded. I stopped the car and checked the oil which was full and after a restart I have not seen that light again in the about 200 miles driven since then. My wife was ahead of me in her car when I decided to punch it up to 125mph she stated that when i went by her very quickly she smelled that rotten eggs smell.
Today I drove the car about 100 miles when I was in a small town going slow I lost all power assist to my brakes. No indicator lights came on and I pulled over to check the brake fluid. The fluid was full and after a restart the assist was back and it never happened again on the way home about 100 miles.

The car seems to be the gremlins car from hell. However when those things are not happening I really like the way it drives. Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-22-2008, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear

First, the gas. It is known issue that you shouldn't over fill. It can flood the purge valve and will throw a code.

Secondly, for the oil light and foul egg smell, it maybe sludge issue. Just like any turbo cars, 2.7Ts are harsh on oil. So check the oil and see if you can seafoam or desludge the oil in anyways. Also I would check the turbos too.

And for the brakes, check to see if you have any vacuum leak. Although a leak will usually throw a code of some sort.

I know this is after the fact, but did you check the maintenance history? IMO, preventative maintenance on these cars are really important. Anyways, like you say, you will really love the way it drives, but keep in mind, that these cars WILL give you miscellaneous problems. Be sure to have a nest egg somewhere.

Welcome.