Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise after shuting car off

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 03:20 AM
1st Gear
Default noise after shuting car off

Hello everyone im new to the audi world just recently bought a 02 A6 2.7t (AT) really nice car no complain yet but a lot of people are telling me im going to have a lot of problems wit it. PLs let me know the dues and donts like what kinda iol should i use. and upgrades. but my main concer is that after i shut the car off even if i drove it for a little while a fan comes on i know its to cool down the engine but this thing is loud i can here it up stairs with my windows closed and it runs on and off for a good 10 minutes is that normal and is it cover under warenty. thank you for your help

Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: noise after shuting car off

The A6 is awesome, very solid car. People who say you will have problems, don't know the car. I wonder what they are driving? I get this all from 'Know it all' domestic drivers, who, nearest I can tell they are envious and must find a way to bash what they don't have.

There are a few issues with the A6, like control arms, wheel bearings and rotors, but not really anything big. They just wear, but honestly, not excessive. The core, engine and powertrain, are way above average IMHO.

Not sure about the fan noise. Could be a bearing going out on a fan, or the result of damage. Is it the electric fans that cool the engine?

More details about your climate and driving would help. Does it always do it, say if you drive 5 mins to a store?

Best bet is to have garage/dealer diagnosis it and see what they say.

Old 09-27-2005, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the reply yeah ive been noticing that the more i drive it the more i like it. and its tru about what u say of the people. When ever some one has a smart coment all i say "if u only had one to drive u know why i bought it " yeah the noise is from the electrical fan mounted on the front of the radiator. its really loud the berings could be a promblem im going to take ur advice and have it looked at ASAP before the warenty runs out. Thank you fro leting me know its not normal for it to be so loud. PS any recomendations on oil and gas. Synthetic ?? 98 OCT ?? all the time ?? thanks

Old 09-27-2005, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

Check to see if the fan is hitting anything when it is running. It is possible something is slightly pushing a shroud into the blades of the fan. Just pop the hood. My mercedes did this once when it came from the body shop. The guys at the shop had pushed the grille into the shroud and it shrieked when the hood was down and the auxillary fans kicked in.

I am not a great one to ask on gas, because i tend to push the limits. I run alot of regular fuel in mine. Now I am sure I will get bashed for that, but my theory is this: this engine is super sophisticated, and it can adjust virtually everything on a per cylinder basis. (fuel and ignition) So, within reason, the car can adjust for lower octane fuels. No, I don't recommend always, nor using regular. Its a judgement call. I never notice preignition pings or anything on regular. And i do run premium every few tanks, as well as injector cleaners now and again.

For oil, I do recommend the best oil you can get, but one that is made for turbos. As well, the best filter, change per pil change. If the oil is poor, the turbo does not get proper lubrication. I don't run sythetics, i would do more research myself.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

are you letting your car idle in neutral for a while, it could be your turbos if you just shut the car off right away after driving??

Old 09-27-2005, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

Manual actually says that you don't need to do this with the car. The idle rule applies more if you raced the car, pulled to the side of the track and shut it off.

And if the turbos made that much noise when they spooled down in the driveway, they'd be toast.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

I don't know if this is the sound you are talking about, but when I got home last night after buying my 99 A6 (yay!) I heard a little electric motor noise from under the hood. I took a look and I noticed in the coolant reservoir little bubbles like a circulating pump was running. It stopped while I was looking at it, so I know the sound was coming from there.
Could this be the sound?

Old 09-28-2005, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

yeah its al electric fan motor noise only unusually loud but now the fan doesnt ven kick on no noise at all wich wories me and the idle got ruff too