Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Sure What to Do

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Not Sure What to Do

The ABS/Brake light comes on all the time now and not sure why. I've checked the fuse, it's fine and my mechanic has no clue as to why either. He is Audi certified by the way. My real issue is that I have to take the car in for a yearly saftey inspection. I know they will fail me right off the bat with "Check Engine" light on but not sure about the "ABS/Brake" light being on....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

98 A-6 Quattro, live in VA

Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Not Sure What to Do

There is a sensor that can become dirty. If your brakes appear fine and there is fluid, I would look to have the sensor removed and cleaned.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! Didnt think about the sensor....I have till the end of the month for the inspection....

Old 10-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Site Moderator

Your audi certified technician is an idiot if thats the case.
Its the ABS control module, (common problem) if you need to, disconnect the harness from the module and plug it back in, if the techs scan tool won't communicate with the brake electronics anymore the module is toast.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Should have them just replace the ABS module?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 PM

there are sensors on each wheel and the codes can be extracted with a code reader and cleared if need be VAG is best

Old 10-17-2007, 04:39 PM

Hahahaha he really had no idea?

Where did he get his certification? Grease monkey?

Sorry had to say it. But anyway like everyone else has said it's either the sensor or the module. Test the module to see if it has communication with the abs electronics. If not it's the module, if so, pull your sensor and clean it. Problem solved.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:40 PM

where is the module?

Thanks,

Tim

Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

See my two posts to the other thread stated by nova-jeepfreak on this same subject. I had the same indications as n-j-f 10 daysago. My wife's car, 98 A6 Quattro 2.8, is now fixed and operating perfectly. The module is a common failure item and the pump has a very low failure rate. The moduleis usually easily and economicalyrepairable and it is relatively easy to remove and replace, if not for you then for a moderately mechanically inclined friend.It cost me $265.00 (repair and postage both ways) and about 3 hours of my time. Also, my wife thinks I'm a hero.