Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O wtf now...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default O wtf now...

Popped in my new OEM ignition switch on my 99 A6 since it seemed like the other blew. I turn the key about 1 millimeter and the ignition kicks in and the car tries to start. So im like... ok wtf...I pull it out again, make sure the ignition pin is aligned with the switch. Still the same again.... I then put in the old switch...and the car starts normally, key turned all the way, but of course since it still isn't working I cant turn on any electronics. So what do I do now?

Old 10-10-2008, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

Try again. Did you find instructions on how to do this? I remember having had a very good writeup available when I change my ignition switch. I can search but only if you can't find it.
Adil

Old 10-10-2008, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

I tried. I did check for instructions but everything just leads me to how to get to and remove the switch. But im guessing im not doing anything wrong since I put my old switch back in and it turns on just fine. Maybe the new switch does not work correctly? And I did manage to find a small amount of melted plastic on the ignition switch harness, but after inspecting it It doesn't seem like it would cause the car to start incorrectly.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

where'd you get the switch?
same exact part#?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

I got it from autozone. Same part #....i think

Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

I really don;t understand how the ignition will turn when I hardly even physically move the key. I will say this. I did have the new switch out, still plugged in. And for some reason it was starting the car. So I ran up front to disconnect the battery, I figured it was a common issue. Could that indicate something?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

And the switch is in the Off position when I put it in.