Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

light electrical problem on my A6 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation light electrical problem on my A6 Quattro

Ok i bought this loaded 1997 Audi A6 Quattro from this kid and well i have one simple problem .My instrument illumination for all the gauges is not lighting up when i turn the parking or the the headlights on.Anyone have a electrical diagram or could help me with this issue?
p.s. the stock radio is missing if that helps any

thanks
-Marc W.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
2nd Gear

Your going to need a Bentley manual and a prior knowledge of wiring to chase through that mess.

I would start with the following

Check the fuse panel

Turn ignition key to on and see if the check engine, ABS or any other lights turn on as they all should. If not he may have done something to prevent these lights from illuminating and keep you from seeing it has a multitude of issues.

Tap on the dimmer and the switch with your finger. A bad switch may just start working while you are tapping. My dimmer will turn the panel lights off if I play with it. also try putting a little pressure on it while you turn it.

Remove the covers and look for wires that the kid spliced into to run his all important stereo. He may have just ripped his stereo out in haste tearing a wire he had tapped into. Even though that power supply is not constant it could be related or who knows maybe he only listened to the stereo at night.

Test the light switch obviously you have power running in and out to turn on your parking and head lamps. If it is not coming out for your panel then replace the switch if it is chase the wire and look for a break.

By this time even if you have not found the issue you will have narrowed it down.

Let us know

Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 AM
2nd Gear

Also, look for a wire that the kid cut getting his piece of trash radio out and that he did not tape over. The exposed end may have grounded causing a blown fuse. I had that problem once.