Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil coming out exhaust!??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 AM
1st Gear
Default oil coming out exhaust!??

Ive got an 01 a6 2.7 and this morning after letting my car warm up (living in indiana temp was 11) it started smoking the tail pipes really bad but got better after getting to work...checked when i got there and there was oil dripping out of the tail pipes on both sides...so i when i left i let it warm up again and no smoke this time and i wiped the oil away from around the tail pipes...ive had my turbos go out before and its no where near the billowing smoke when that happened...so is there anything else that could be leaking oil into the exhaust besides the turbos?

also when i looked under my hood oil had leaked out of where you put the oil in...yes the cap was on tight and the way it should be. dont know if that helps at all.

Last edited by playboy00786; 01-04-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 PM
2nd Gear

Valve seals will and they get worse in the cold because the contract more. replaced all of mine on my 3.0. Twas a Bitch and a half.

If it is the Valve seals they only do it on cold start. It takes time for the oil to slip through them into the cylinder.

Be sure it is smoke not steam, Steam would indicate a bad head gasket.

I would however check your Turbo first.

Next look to see if any of your cylinders are misfiring on cold start.

If you have one Take a hand actuated vacuum pump like for brake cylinders with a cup and slide a tube down into that cylinder after it has sat over night. Get it to the very bottom and see what you can pump out. You will either get oil or water.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:37 AM
1st Gear

i read somewhere about the pcv valve...is there a possibility that it could have been stuck and im not burning off the oil that slipped through?cuz my oil isnt really getting any lower?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 AM
2nd Gear

I'd suspect the PCV valve had frozen more so than the valve guides, due to the volume of oil observed and the blow-by out of the oil fill cap. Have you changed it? You have to do so every 100,000 miles or so.

Bob

Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM
1st Gear

ive never changed it...is there a way to check it and where is it located

Old 01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

can anybody tell/show me where its located and where i can buy just the valve or do i have to buy the entire hose?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:14 AM

playboy, i believe the PCV is part of the Spider pipe which is located at the back of the engine compartment. Can anyone confirm this??

I had a similar issue....After driving a few miles i noticed smoke coming from the exhaust. I assumed the worst but after i pulled the intercooler pipiing there isnt that much oil there (less than a cup in each). I know the turbos are going out but there is no Whistling like i am told i will hear. I have a boost gage installed so i know there is still 6 PSI from them.
I assumed the PCV was frozen and caused the valve cover gaskets to blow out. But after looking at them it doesnt seem like that is where the oil is coming from. I already have the gaskets ordered from Blauparts for the valve covers and the cam tensioners. I am changing the timing belt this weekend.
My question is, while i have the car down, should i change out the valve cover gaskets or is it something that i can come back and do next week? If i wait am i still going to have the smoking exhaust? Is there anything else that could cause oil to be All over the bottom of the enginge beside a clogged "suck pump"? Also, how can i test to make sure that the PCV is the problem?
Ive been researching but im just not fully understanding what i need to fix to get the car back on the road.
Thanks.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear

Yeh, the PVC is part of the spider pipe. Do a search on it as there is a DIY somewhere on it. That's what I followed. To check it, you have to take it off, which is 99% of the work involved in replacing it, the other 1% being ordering the part!

Bob

Old 01-07-2010, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

can anybody find the tut....ive been looking for the past 2 hours with no luck for a 2.7...please

Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

well can anybody atleast tell me if i need to pull the engine to get to all of the hoses or can it be done by just removing a few things and if so what?

Quick Reply: oil coming out exhaust!??