Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter troubles

Old 12-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Default oil filter troubles

My sister has a 01 A6 quattro with the 2.8 and we are changing the oil and filter. The old filter came off easily(only about 1-1/2 turns and it was off) and i thought that was odd, usually filters get about 6 full threads to come off. When trying to put on the new filter, I can't even get the threads started, it seems as if the threads on the filter are not close enough to even get started. Are there any special filters this thing needs or any tricks to getting the bolt on the oil housing to come our any farther? Never had any problems in my life with this(but its always been american muscle cars), and was just curious if there is anything to do. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2004, 10:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: oil filter troubles

The male threads you see are cut on the end of a short section of pipe that is threaded into the block. The big nut on the pipe also holds the oil cooler pickup (that also serves as the seat for the oil filter) against the block. The pipe may be threaded into the block too far or it may simply be too short. Deciding which involves removing oil cooler lines, the big pipe nut, the pickup housing and finally the pipe. You'll have to decide if you can safely reinstall the pipe into the block with fewer threads so there are more threads available to hold the filter on. This isn't an area where you can afford to have a leak, so you might consider letting a good shop take care of things.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:43 PM

thanks for the help, problem fixed

Old 01-17-2008, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

Reserrecting this old thread. Does anyone know if it is possible to insert a pipe tool in the filter fitting ( in the cooler) and back the fitting out a couple of turns? I can only get a new filter on if I mix and match filters and rubber gaskets because the fitting is a hair too short. I'd hate like hell to tear the cooler lines off etc. only to find a simple procedure works. Any input from Stangboy on his solution would be nice as well.