AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Oil leaking, Fueling problems (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/oil-leaking-fueling-problems-146382/)

mckeenr 02-22-2010 12:56 PM

Oil leaking, Fueling problems

So I put in a motor with 86,000 miles on it. Found out it was leaking oil. Looked into it and found out the valve cover was leaking. So I replaced that and then realized it is still leaking. I cant figure out where it is leaking from. Before I put the motor in I replaced the timing belt, water pump, tenntioner, front crank seal. I have been doing some reading and it sounds like people just say the 2.8l is a leaky motor and to get use to it. Anybody else have any thoughts?

On another note, I went to fill it up for the second time and it put in like 19 gallons and fuel started pouring out. The handle never shut off ( I was checking the oil) Last time i filled it up it didn’t seam like the fuel tank was venting unless I pushed the handle in REALLY hard and held it there. Anybody have any thoughts on this one?

Jeffla 02-22-2010 01:00 PM

Did you change your cam seals with the valve cover gaskets?

mckeenr 02-22-2010 02:36 PM

No i didnt, i looked behind the plastic timming belt cover and didnt see any oil and assumed that they didnt need to be changed cuz i didnt see any leaking.

Jeffla 02-22-2010 03:04 PM

Check the rear passenger side cam seal, that's where mine like to leak. I don't think mine have ever leaked in the front by the timing cover. Grrrr, cam seals and valve covers....Grrrr.

mckeenr 02-22-2010 04:22 PM

I can look but the thing is that most of the oil in the engine bay is in front right around and above the oil filter. It doesn’t seam to be all that bad of a leak its just annoying cuz when I am doing city driving I start to smell oil burning on the exhaust, and that stinks.

NH_USA 02-22-2010 07:16 PM

There is a seal (O ring) behind the oil filter housing - oil cooler.

bob martin 02-23-2010 12:54 PM

Could also be the cam tensioner seal on the driver's side.

Bob

mckeenr 02-23-2010 03:15 PM

Yeah I’m wonder if it isn’t the cam chain tesioner because of the oil on the exhaust manifold. But the thing is that I can’t really see where it is coming from. I will just have to look harder.

Any ideas on the gas problem, spilling over and all?

Jeffla 02-23-2010 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mckeenr (Post 1179904)
Yeah I’m wonder if it isn’t the cam chain tesioner because of the oil on the exhaust manifold. But the thing is that I can’t really see where it is coming from. I will just have to look harder.

Any ideas on the gas problem, spilling over and all?

Defective gas pump. If your car's tank wasn't venting properly, it would cause too much back pressure and the pump would constantly shut off too early. So I would say it's not your car but instead the gas pump you used.

bob martin 02-24-2010 11:49 AM

Agree that the fueling issue was a defective gas pump. They are required to shut off at a certain backpressure but that mechanism sometimes fails.

You cannot see the left front cam tensioner seal leak becasue the cam gear blocks your view. But, it fits the symptoms, oil on the exhaust manifold, as does the valve cover gasket, as does the rear cam plug seal. Start the car, let it warm up then look for smoke. A dark garage and a flashlight works best for me to find smoke. Where's there's smoke, there's an oil leak!

Bob