Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL LEAKS IN 2002 A6 2.7t BUT ONLY 60K MILES!! :@

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:10 PM
1st Gear
Default OIL LEAKS IN 2002 A6 2.7t BUT ONLY 60K MILES!! :@

i love this car but every time, as the engine is heated which is about 5 mins. the engine starts smelling like burning oil. this is after just 5 min. of idling!
i also have replaced the valve covers as well. the oil leak is coming from far top. leaks all the way down to the oil pan area and to the ground.

there is also about tennis ***** size of oil left on the drive way.

my mechanic says the turbos are leaking since the turbo is oil cooled??? idk hes not an audi expert but he knows his way around cars.

I DONT understand how a car with such low miles can develop such huge problems. somebody PLEASE HELP ME. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS DID UR 2.7t to fix the leaks! i really hope its not the turbos!

thanks to all on audi forums who will/have helped me in my issue! i wish all of u happy holidays and a merry Christmas and a happy new year!!
once again thanks!

Old 12-17-2010, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

I had the same issue and it was NOT the turbos. It's most likely the cam chain tensioner gasket. it's on the from right and rear left of the engine. when they leak on the Pas side the oil hits the turbo and burns. check there first.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:22 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

welcome to the club.

since the turbos are on the back of the engine, if that is where your leak was coming from you would have oil in the back, the oil pan is toward the front of the engine so...

you say you have already done your valve cover gaskets. how about the front cam seals?

you could also check the PCV system since, as I understand it, if the breather isn't working correctly it causes excess pressure in the "top side" of the engine, forcing the oil through the seals.

good luck and let us know what you figure out.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 PM
3rd Gear

This may seem harsh, but just get used to the smell. You can pay to have the cam seals fixed, but I promise you in 40-60k they will be leaking again. My 00 with 180k is on it's 4th set and they have been leaking for 6 months now. I have just accepted it. The smell has become like a fine wine or leather smell to me. *maybe if I keep saying that I will eventually believe it*. I have no plans on fixing mine again.

If you can accept the following few things about your car now, you will never be disappointed.

1. it will leak oil and have a pleasant burnt oil smell each and every day.
2. your control arms need replacing every 60-80k
3. your car knows when you have an excess of money, and will quickly correct this devastating situation.

Last edited by Jeffla; 12-17-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 AM
1st Gear

1st off i just want to thank all of you guys on this forum that is taking the time to help me out. i reallly appreciate it.

and when i went to his shop and asked him to change the leaking parts which was originally the valve covers and cam tensioner he said he can do the valve covers but not the cam tensioner b/c to change the tensioners he had to remove the engine?? i think he was lying but then again im no mechanic.

also guys something really important is ive been getting quotes from other people for this and the companies are telling me to WASH MY ENGINE BAY and hose it down with engine degrease and wash it down with water!?? is this safe for a turbo car?? or any car infact??

and the oil is splattered all the way to back. there not much on the back just MOSTLY ON THE OIL PAN AND some at the beginning of tranny and some saturated oil in the muffler and cats.

is it possible i have a upper sump leak??

again have a merry Christmas and happy holiday! u guys are really helping me out a lot! thank you all!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:40 AM
1st Gear

also there is smoke coming from the engine. as i open the hood the smoke comes from the passenger side all the way in the corner by the air filter and the driver side by the steering fluid and more specifically by the corner of the oil cap and coolant tank. it comes from between the gap. by the spark plugs on the driver side.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:12 AM
2nd Gear

Budhani,

Your description of what is oil soaked on your engine is typical of the unfortunetly normal Audi oil leaks. You need to find another mechanic or learn to work on your car yourself. Some people have luck with the shortcut method of replacing the cam tensioner seals but I have found that, to do it right, the cams have to come out (not the whole engine, just the cams) which is an 8 - 10 hour job. So, you can either pay to have this work done or learn to do it yourself (but this is no job for a beginner). Your other option is to trade the car in on something more reliable. The A6 is not a car for the weak of wallet.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 10-08-2011, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
This may seem harsh, but just get used to the smell. You can pay to have the cam seals fixed, but I promise you in 40-60k they will be leaking again. My 00 with 180k is on it's 4th set and they have been leaking for 6 months now. I have just accepted it. The smell has become like a fine wine or leather smell to me. *maybe if I keep saying that I will eventually believe it*. I have no plans on fixing mine again.

If you can accept the following few things about your car now, you will never be disappointed.

1. it will leak oil and have a pleasant burnt oil smell each and every day.
2. your control arms need replacing every 60-80k
3. your car knows when you have an excess of money, and will quickly correct this devastating situation.
Ahahahaha. Truer words....

Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

So why are we ressurecting this 10 month old post just to say "truer words..."?????

Old 10-08-2011, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
So why are we ressurecting this 10 month old post just to say "truer words..."?????
How true!