Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help, ATF change!

Old 04-08-2007, 11:36 PM
SSn
1st Gear
Default Please help, ATF change!

Hi, I've just changed my ATF and unsure if I've done it right.
Car is 1998 A6 2.8 DPT transmission 01V

I used that blau parts kit (well I bought the parts else where cheaper) it's filter, gasket and 5 liters of pentosin atf.

Here are the instructions I used:
----------------------------------------------------
ATF Refill:

13. Add fresh fluid through the check/fill tube until it begins to overflow. A plastic cap covers the fill tube, with a square cutout to the side - this allows fluid to be added and excess fluid to overflow. To get fluid into the hole, I used a length of vinyl tubing - one end inserted through the cap's cutout, the other attached to a funnel several feet from the ground. Pour fluid in the funnel, transmission gets filled. By the way, VAG's special tool does the same gravity feed, by hanging from a raised hood. A fluid pump should also work well. (illustration)
14. After the fluid slows to a dropwise overflow, leave the filling apparatus in place and start the engine. With the engine idling, the transmission oil pump will run, dropping the fluid level.
15. Add fluid until it overflows again.
16. With the engine still idling, press on the brakes and move the gear selector through all gears, pausing at each gear for a few seconds. This will circulate fluid through the valve body and may drop the level a bit.
17. Add fluid until overflow.
18. By now, the fluid should be warm, and at the correct level. Reinstall the check/fill plug with the new seal and tighten to 59 ft-lbs / 80 Nm. After the seal is in place, shut down the engine.
19. You should check the fluid level again after a few days - reusing the check/fill plug seal won't pose a problem, but the seal is inexpensive if you feel like replacing it for every check. Before doing this final check, start with the engine cold and drive around for a mile or two - this should get the transmission up to the specified temperature range (95-113° F) - Haynes' seat of the pants method is to feel the transmission pan. If it feels warm but not hot to the touch, the fluid should be in the correct range. Considering the amount of factory overfill in my transmission, this methodology is more than accurate enough.
-------------------------------------------

The problem is that after filling till overflow first time, I started the engine and continued filling. And I was unable to overfill with engine running. I run out of ATF... After I shot the engine off fluid started to leak out and I plugged it quick so I don't loose any...

Is that supposed to be like that? The article I quoted says to use 6qt of fluid I used 5 liters... Did I put in enough?

By the way, first time I started the engine transmission was making noises like washing machine... then they stopped after I added more fluid.

Thanks.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:04 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Please help, ATF change!

i'm not sure about the 2.8 tranny, but i know the one for the 4.2 takes about 8 quarts to get it up to the right level if you drain it really well. you're process that you've followed is the correct procedure that i'm aware of, although it's a little vague. for one thing, i know that the transmission temp has to be exactly between 35 and 40*C when you fill it til overflow for the last time before you plug it. any other temperature and the level will be incorrect. as for the wirring washing machine sound, it was probably just the pump not getting adequate fluid while it was trying to pump fluid through the transmission. makes sense that it went away you added more fluid. everything makes strange noises when it's not lubricated properly. the sucky part of this whole thing is that you're going to have to let your car sit for a while again so it cools down and start the whole filling process over again since you didn't get enough fluid in it. sorry to hear about your luck, but you're probably just going to have to go buy some more expensive a$$ atf fluid and refill it.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:07 AM
1st Gear

BTW, vag com is the easiest way to check the fluid temp, so if you know anyone that has one, see if you can borrow it. just go into the transmission control module and then measuring block #04.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:24 AM

your supposed to switch the engine off when you top it up the second time if not you will over fill and it should only take 2.6 to 3.0 liters from empty to refill

Old 04-09-2007, 02:41 PM
SSn
1st Gear

mustang196718: Strange, I got couple places stating different quantities and filling processes. Well, the temp should not be that exact, I've read multiple articles about that. The filling description specifically states that the engine must be running and fluid should overflow, with the engine running. Mine overflows when engine stops. I know that 4.2 takes 8 quarts, the 2.6 have different pan and different transmission.
Besides, when transmission was cold and I opened it the first time ever, only a tittle fluid leaked out, so I should be good.
I just hate to mess with it again. It shifts fine, no strange noises.

avant80@2.6: I filled it with 3 liters first time till overflow, and after that it was making washing machine noises (not enough fluid), Are you sure about 2.6 liters? I took the pan off and replaced filter as well and it was dripping fluid for quiet a while.

Also, I've found at least 3 regular ATF you can use in place of pentosin. They all got to be approved for some LT 71141 standart for ZF transmissions.
Valvoline Mercon V, Quaker State Multy Vehicle ATF and Castrol Multi Vehicle ATF state to be approved for that purpose.

Check out this article http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/ They have the same transmission as mine shown, and they say to use 6 quarts.