Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Please take load off steering" problem solved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:09 PM
1st Gear
Cool "Please take load off steering" problem solved!

Hey guys,

Yesterday I had this issue displayed in my vehicle and I solved it. It is a 2006 Audi A6, 3.2L with 118,000 miles on it. The first thing I did when this issue occurred is Google it. The search took me to AudiForums but there were never any solutions posted. I am here to tell you that I solved the issue ON MY OWN (without having to take it to the shop) and wanted to share the steps with you so you can have it as well.

BACKGROUND: I got into my car, put my keys into the ignition, and the error message "please take load off steering" displayed on my dashboard. I continued to turn the key, but the engine did not turn over, nor did the electrical system even turn on (except for the radio). The brake pedal was depressed. Gears would not shift.

Here's what I did:
1. Put the key in the ignition. Don't turn it, just slide it in and leave it there.
2. Grab the steering wheel with both hands in preparation to turn it. The steering wheel will only turn one direction. That's the direction you'll go.
3. Push the brake pedal down as hard as you can.
4. With the brake pedal depressed, crank the steering wheel as hard in one direction as it will go. You will hear a clicking sound.
5. It'll be tough to turn the wheel, but keep turning until you've turned it about 180 degrees. When you get there, stop turning it.
6. Release the brake pedal and remove the key from the ignition. The whole system will shut down.
7. Wait a few seconds, then re-insert the key into the ignition.
8. You should hear a click from the ignition and the steering column in general, sounding like the "click" heard normally before starting the car when putting the keys in. The steering wheel will turn on its own back a little bit. The "please take load off steering" will still be displayed.
9. Press the brake again and repeat turning the steering wheel in the direction you were turning before, ending at the same position you ended on step 5.
10. Remove the keys again and re-insert.
11. The whole system should turn on as you are normally used to. Everything should be fixed.

If, for whatever reason, it still doesn't turn on, it's probably because you haven't turned the steering wheel far enough. You can never go wrong with turning the steering wheel farther than it needs to go. However, when in doubt, you can call the shop and get it fixed. I read posts last night about people dropping $2,000 and getting their whole steering column replaced. So I figured, "Well, if I'm going to have to replace my steering column, what's the harm in cranking the wheel?" And look at that, it worked!

Hopefully you are reading this because you typed "please take load off steering" error message into your Google search bar. If that's the case, I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Drummerjjk09
Hey guys,

Yesterday I had this issue displayed in my vehicle and I solved it...

Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

That issue has come up on my A6 2007 121,000 miles. I will try that next time. Thanks

Old 11-03-2016, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

This worked - THANK YOU!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 PM
1st Gear
Default 2006 audi a6 key not turning on error "please take load off steering wheel" easier so

After suffering through this error about a dozen times I was about ready to give up and go to the dealer. Then I remembered that everything is electronic on this car and so I decided to test power cycling the steering wheel just by inserting the key and taking it back out several times. Just by inserting and taking out the key about 6 times the steering wheel reset itself! Then it happened again about two months later and instead of just inserting and taking the key out I put a slight pressure on the steering wheel to the left and put my foot on the brake it inserted the key twice and Wallah it cleared. So basically all you have to do is put some pressure on the steering wheel with your foot on the brake and keep inserting the key in and out until it clears. It doesn't really take too much elbow grease. I know the cause of my problem is that I have 20 inch wheels and sometimes when I park and I have the steering wheel turned it will lock but this is the solution hope it helps someone

Old 11-01-2018, 12:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Life saver

You just saved my life with this today lol I was seriously about to have a break down thinking I was going to have to spend a fortune to figure out what was going on with my car!
QUOTE=Drummerjjk09;1497349]Hey guys,

Yesterday I had this issue displayed in my vehicle and I solved it. It is a 2006 Audi A6, 3.2L with 118,000 miles on it. The first thing I did when this issue occurred is Google it. The search took me to AudiForums but there were never any solutions posted. I am here to tell you that I solved the issue ON MY OWN (without having to take it to the shop) and wanted to share the steps with you so you can have it as well.

BACKGROUND: I got into my car, put my keys into the ignition, and the error message "please take load off steering" displayed on my dashboard. I continued to turn the key, but the engine did not turn over, nor did the electrical system even turn on (except for the radio). The brake pedal was depressed. Gears would not shift.

Here's what I did:
1. Put the key in the ignition. Don't turn it, just slide it in and leave it there.
2. Grab the steering wheel with both hands in preparation to turn it. The steering wheel will only turn one direction. That's the direction you'll go.
4. With the brake pedal depressed, crank the steering wheel as hard in one direction as it will go. You will hear a clicking sound.
5. It'll be tough to turn the wheel, but keep turning until you've turned it about 180 degrees. When you get there, stop turning it.
6. Release the brake pedal and remove the key from the ignition. The whole system will shut down.
8. You should hear a click from the ignition and the steering column in general, sounding like the "click" heard normally before starting the car when putting the keys in. The steering wheel will turn on its own back a little bit. The "please take load off steering" will still be displayed.
9. Press the brake again and repeat turning the steering wheel in the direction you were turning before, ending at the same position you ended on step 5.
11. The whole system should turn on as you are normally used to. Everything should be fixed.

If, for whatever reason, it still doesn't turn on, it's probably because you haven't turned the steering wheel far enough. You can never go wrong with turning the steering wheel farther than it needs to go. However, when in doubt, you can call the shop and get it fixed. I read posts last night about people dropping $2,000 and getting their whole steering column replaced. So I figured, "Well, if I'm going to have to replace my steering column, what's the harm in cranking the wheel?" And look at that, it worked!

Hopefully you are reading this because you typed "please take load off steering" error message into your Google search bar. If that's the case, I hope this helps.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Old 11-10-2018, 04:11 AM
1st Gear

Great solution, well done

Old 05-20-2019, 12:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Problem solved yesterday 19.05.2019 on Audi A6 3.2 Fsi. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

Originally Posted by Drummerjjk09
Hey guys,

Here's what I did:

Cheers!
THANK YOU !
Problem solved yesterday 19.05.2019 on Audi A6 3.2 FSI from the second attempt !

If, for whatever reason, it still doesn't turn on, it's probably because you haven't turned the steering wheel far enough. You can never go wrong with turning the steering wheel farther than it needs to go.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:27 AM
1st Gear

The other half couldn't set off to work because of this, quick Google and first thing that came up was this guide. I've joined the forum just to say thank you. I must admit my heart sunk, it's only 3 weeks since having the oil pump drive failure 🤯

Old 08-29-2021, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by coachrudy
After suffering through this error about a dozen times I was about ready to give up and go to the dealer. Then I remembered that everything is electronic on this car and so I decided to test power cycling the steering wheel just by inserting the key and taking it back out several times. Just by inserting and taking out the key about 6 times the steering wheel reset itself! Then it happened again about two months later and instead of just inserting and taking the key out I put a slight pressure on the steering wheel to the left and put my foot on the brake it inserted the key twice and Wallah it cleared. So basically all you have to do is put some pressure on the steering wheel with your foot on the brake and keep inserting the key in and out until it clears. It doesn't really take too much elbow grease. I know the cause of my problem is that I have 20 inch wheels and sometimes when I park and I have the steering wheel turned it will lock but this is the solution hope it helps someone
Thank you
You save my *** on a 117 f day

Quick Reply: "Please take load off steering" problem solved!