AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Power Steering Pump Issues (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/power-steering-pump-issues-142226/)

twinturbosixer 11-24-2009 03:45 PM

Power Steering Pump Issues

Hey guys,

background: Last winter, i had to much fun in the parkinglots, and blew my power steering pump.

I bought a replacement online, and had a friend of the family replace it. Now that it is getting cold, I am having issues.

When i start completely cold, and start driving, my steering wheel will turn REALLY easily to the right, and rather difficultly to the left. This happens for the first minute or two when I start, after i turn the wheel a couple times back and forth, it is good to go.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong w/ my pump? Is it a pressure valve? or is just the entire power steering pump?

Any help is appreciated!

chefro 11-24-2009 05:33 PM

If your right side is ok, then your pump is working as it should, since the fluid goes ok through the pressure hose. You probably need to look into the steering rack, more precisely the left side/half of it.

bob martin 11-25-2009 08:10 AM

You need to replace the steering rack. Call PowerSteeringPros.com. Get the rack WITH the electronic module on it.

Not a fun job. Best done on a hoist. I have a draft of a write up if you need it.

Bob

a6hcw 11-25-2009 11:41 PM

Try flushing the power steering fluid first to see if you problem is caused by bad fluid.
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...r/psflush.html
When I did this, I disconnected some of the sparkplugs to slow the engine down, as the A6 has a very small power steering reservoir.

twinturbosixer 12-07-2009 05:45 PM

chefro,

Both "sides" are bad. When i make a right turn, the wheel turns way to easily, and will not straighten out when i release the wheel, its providing to much assist. then its the exact opposite. When i then try to turn the wheel left, i have to fight the wheel, and pull it (pump provides to little assist).

It is getting worse and worse, but definatly happens alot more often when its cold out.

help please!!! I only have a month left under the pump warranty, however, will have to pay for labor. (still tho, if pumps bad, i wanna know asap).

auditech79 12-07-2009 09:15 PM

No its a rack, if you had a bad pump you would NEVER have good steering, especially when its warmed up. Good luck with that, steering racks suck to replace.

twinturbosixer 12-07-2009 11:21 PM

I am not doubting it, but can you explain why the steering is perfectly fine after you drive the car for a mile? If it was the rack, wouldnt it be like that all the time?

Is it a bent rack or a worn out component within the rack. I use to work for TRW Steering testing and building prototype racks, but those were electric. Audi steering racks are hydrolic correct?

auditech79 12-07-2009 11:33 PM

Ugh, because inside a steering rack there are valves, when the fluid is hot and the valves are as well its easier for them to regulate the pressure. I would think its a messed up pressure regulating valve inside the rack keeping you from turning the steering one way or the other. Audi steering racks are hydraulic yes, except for the A3 and new TT model.

P.S. I hate TRW after one of thier fucking seat belt tensioners almost choked me to death when i was working on it. Stupid thing fired with no power hooked up to it, piece of .....

twinturbosixer 12-08-2009 03:38 PM

Haha, I hate TRW after laying me off. we both have something in common =P

I called a former assosiate I worked with, and he explained to me exactly what you are saying. When I turn the wheel, the valve in the rack isnt opening/closing the way it is suppose to, so the fluid isnt moving around in the correct pattern at the correct rate.

Im not putting up with this repair though. Going to cut my losses and sell it before I have to do another TB change or before the turbos go.

Thank you for your input tho. greatly appreciated!

auditech79 12-08-2009 11:41 PM

Hahaha, whatever floats your boat man.