Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering ruin, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Default power steering ruin, need help

Just all the sudden, my car start to make a nasty grinding noise everytime I try to turn the steering wheel. i check the power steering fluid and it was bubbling. is it supposed to bubble like that, i check for leak and there was oil dripping out of the steering rack..i think that's what it is, not sure, but i look up for steering part and the picture look like the one that leak in my car. Can somebody please tell me how expensive that going to cost, and if it even possible to do it yourself? I have a couple friends that work on car but they know nothing about audi, but they are willing to give it a try to try to replace it. Any help appreciated. thank

Old 05-24-2008, 08:41 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: power steering ruin, need help

When my PS pump went bad it did not leakfluid. I did get the same noise & bubbles.Maybe one of the hoses are leaking. You need to remove covers and look closely to determine the source.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

If the power steering fluid is leaking from one of the boots on the rack, the rack is going bad on you and it will need to be replaced.

OOOO

Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 AM

actually i think it a tie rod because i compare my picture with picture on the websits blauparts.com and they call it tie rod. But I dont know which part went bad. I am hoping that it is the tie rod because it is cheaper and it is where the oil leaking out from. I cant even drive my car any more because the steering wheel is just stiff. Do you still think it the rack? please tell me it isnt so.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
2nd Gear

Oil does not leak from tie rods. It will leak from the steering rack and come out the boot that covers, the tie rod inner, but the leak is in the rack, not the tie rod.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Bob

Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 PM

Which year Audi A6 do you have? You will need the Audi shop manual CD from BentleyPublishers.com to remove the rack. You may be able to get a rack seal repair kit and rack boot or a rebuilt rack from www.rockauto.com, or google "audi parts" for other sources to compare costs. You may get the CD for less at www.themotorbookstore.com or at www.motorbookguy.com . Since the rack is behind the engine you will need the CD to find out what tools are required, etc. You also need to buy power steering fluid. My 1998 A6 wagon usesPentosin CHF 11s. You shouldadd the the powersteering fluid and then watch thepower steering hoses for leaks. You may want the front end on jack stands, so that you may turn the wheels back and forth to get the trapped air out of the rack.The rebuilt power steering pumps are more than $300, so don't run the pump dry. A leaking hose could send a jet of fluid on to the rack boot, when the wheel is turned againsteach stop. Of course, you could have bad hoses and bad seals.You may want to flush the powersteering system, if possible, before you remove the rack. This might be done by turning the motor with the starter, with the ignition disconnected for a very short time, with the return line going in to a container.Fluid must be added to the power steering tank continuously as the wheel is turned back and forth.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:23 PM

For a power steering flush try: http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...r/psflush.html, which is for an A8, butmay besimilar to an A6.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:42 PM

The power steering tanks are so small on some of the A6 that even 2 seconds may be too long to have the engine run. That is why disconnecting the ignition and only runing the starter may help. Try not to overheat the starter. It is important to flush debris out of the steering system to prevent damaging the new rack. There could be debris from running the pump dry. That is what that grinding noise was.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 PM

Thank for all the advice from everyone, it makes sense like what bob was saying, and i was hoping that joeski was wrong, but looks like i can't be in denial anymore. I did all the other thing that people told me to try, bought the pentosin oil, that thing is pricey! I flushed it the fluid out and refilled but still with the same problem. I look up for steering rack, wow $600+, I can't even find a mechanic that can fix my car where im at, so i might need to buy a book or cd and let my friend give it a try. Is there a possibility that it could also be a pump? because it is a work out when i tried to turn the wheel even with the engine on and the car is moving. Because i dont want to buy a rack and have it turn out to be a pump problem or vis versa. Thanks everyone for the advice, really appreciated.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:56 PM

You could also get a rebuilt steering rack from www.blauparts.com for you Audi. You can also do a search on google for almost anything. You can also do a search of this forum by clicking on "Search" on the top of this AudiForum web page.

Quick Reply: power steering ruin, need help