Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with gears/linkage??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default problem with gears/linkage??

2000 A6 2.7t 6speed
104500 miles
previous owner said he put an S4 clutch in 2004 (feels real stiff still)

While on my way to work this morning, i switched the gear and it grinded a little bit. for a second i didnt think anything of it besides maybe didnt press the clutch in completely. Right after that i had a hard time pulling out of a gear and getting into a gear.

Itlasted for a little then it would come in and out of gears like normal, then after sometime it happened again, then little after it was fine. This happened a few times.

I did try once to force it into first when it wouldnt let me and the whole car just kinda jumped a bit.

I noticed months back that sometimes when i was at a light it wouldnt let me push into first unless i revved a bit or moved the car a little in second gear.

Is it possible my tranny fluid is low or some kind of linkage problem?

There are no weird noises coming from the tranny while driving, just when putting the gears in and out sometimes.

Thanks

Old 12-08-2007, 01:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: problem with gears/linkage??

I have now noticed that the gears go in sometimes when starting the car but once im driving almost never.

When i shut the car off i can get them in pretty easily.

talked with a friend and he thinks maybe its the throw out bearing? says that it lets you put it in while there is pressure on the clutch and stuff. And said that it might that because when the cars off there is no pressure on everthing and thats why the gears go in.

any clues?

are there any audi sites online that will show you all the parts and wiring for audis? Bmw has there realoem.com

Old 12-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Site Moderator

I doubt it has anything to do with the clutch/throw out bearing because the problem would most likely be constant rather than intermittent. I would say you either have a bad syncro or shift fork, with that being said does it just do this in certain gears, or all gears?

Old 12-08-2007, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Just tried driving it this morning and it has trouble getting into all the gears. Its not the it grinds now i just go to puch it into the gear and nothing just feels like somethings is blocking it. Doubt it's a bad syncro, On all gears? Had a bad syncro for one gear in a VW i had and it would grind if i didnt double clutch.

My friend also talked about some fork but didnt explain much. What does the shift fork do? How hard is it to replace?

Old 12-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Site Moderator

The shift fork just holds/moves the syncro so if you had a bad one then you would have problems like going into 1st and 2nd gear, but that doesn't seem to be the case on yours.
If the guy that put in the S4 clutch messed something up when putting in the clutch like:
not bolting the pressure plate down correctly,
didn't replace the throw out bearing/pilot bearing then you could be having these problems.
In any case you have to take out the tranny to find the problem.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear

I thoughtthe fork moves the throw-out bearing in and out to engage and disengage the clutch on the flywheel.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: ppgoal

I thoughtthe fork moves the throw-out bearing in and out to engage and disengage the clutch on the flywheel.
No the term "shift forks" is plural, there is usually two in the transmission and the fork sits around the synchro and moves it back and forth between gears.
The fork that holds the throw out bearing has a different name, can't remember exactly what, maybe a clutch fork or something like that.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

Could it be that the clutch is bad?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: domvr6

Could it be that the clutch is bad?
Define the term bad LOL. If the clutch were say "bad" then the friction material would give out sinking your pedal to the floor and you wouldn't be going anywhere. The throw out bearing and pilot bearing work with the clutch so in any case i would buy a new clutch kit from like AWE or clutchmasters so you can replace all of that at the same time and it should take care of your problem. I believe the guy that previously installed the clutch didn't replace the throw out bearing.