Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with A6 (a couple)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM
1st Gear
Default problems with A6 (a couple)

okay so this is my first audi, 1995 audi a6 2.8 fwd bought it for a huge sum of 960.00.

assuming some of you ballers on here still drive a this year. i see most posts are all about the newer models.

anyway lets see if you guys can answer these questions

1) i blew a fuse, and have no headlights or windshield wipers. once i replace the fuse or relay if it happens again what could my problem be?

2) the car doesnt seem to get to operating temp every time i drive it, the temp gauge will stay in the cold... should i replace the thermostat?

3) my light that shows the current gear, as well as the light for climate control dont really work, is there some fuse i am unaware of?

4) is there a way to clear the 1n1 message? from what i hear it is just a service light for an oil change?

5) randomly i will be low on volts, the battery warning comes on ect than i make sure to drive faster and the volts go back up haha... i am assuming this is a battery problem but i just started a new job and i have clinicals for school so i dont have time to take it to the local interstate shop and have them test the battery.

6) uhhhh sometimes my key sticks when i try and remove it... in motorcycles we just oil the key and do a lil in-in-out would that work for the audi? i ussally have to restart the car put it into gear park it and than turn it off... normally on cars its cuz the steering column isnt locked or what not, but this is not the case.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

OOOO and my driver side window doesnt roll down, it makes a noise like the motor is trying to work... i have been told that means it is the regulator not the motor... is that true? they also quoted me something like 2xx.xx dollars for it too

Old 11-21-2011, 10:50 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

quite a laundry list. based on what you have provided, these are my best guesses:

1) Could be a short. difficult thing to track down if it is. probably easier to go with new wiring. be sure to check the connections first though.

2) Coolant temperature sensor. easy fix.

3) probably a bulb(s). not sure of the exact setup on your '95

4) again, not sure on your '95. i think there is a combination of "button" presses you can perform to reset the SRI. search function (or google) is your friend for this.

5) Alternator and/or slipping serpentine belt. could be the tensioner.

6) stuff wears out. little dry lubricant (graphite) may be helpful. could be your cylinder is just worn.

7) window regulator. youtube search for "A6 window regulator" or something like that. should point you in the right direction (also multiple threads on here with links to that and other videos/DIYs)

good luck

-not an expert just an enthusiast

Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

cool. thanks for your input. i am no expert mechanic. if it takes wrench turning i can do it... if it takes thinking, or electrical savey haha i probably cant.

ill update later tomorrow or Wednesday i have off.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

1. If the fuse does not fix the problem it is probably the multifunction switch on the column. I had this problem on my 1995 S6. There are DIY instructions for removal, repair and replacement on line. It does require removal of the steering wheel.

2. Almost certainly the thermostat. Coolant temp sensor does not control engine temp. It tells the ECU when the engine is warm so it can lean out the mixture.

3. Bulb. They are small bulbs that after this many years burn out. You can remove both the instrument cluster and the CC and change them. Again there are good DIY's online.

4. I think you need a VAG-COM to reset the SRI. AFAIK there is no way to reset it with a secret combination of button presses. The VAG-COM you need will require the OBD2 to OBD1 adapter.

5. Like 02A6Beau said

6. See 5.

7. See 5 again. Call a used parts place like Shokan or Force5.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:01 PM
3rd Gear

1. A bad Multifunction switch is a common problem.
I would check the ground between the motor and frame before doing anything else.
(remove the strap, clean the contact areas, and put it back on- don'w assume it is OK just because it is tight!)

2. YES Thermostat -- look at the posts about doing the timing belt - your going to be so far into the motor it would be a shame not to do the belt at the same time.

3. I agree - little bulbs - pulling the instrument cluster can be fun -- You can't get the bulbs at your local Radioshack so get a stash of them ahead of time. There are 2-3 different wattages ID'd by the color of the base.

4 VAGCom is the only way

5. check what I said in #1 first

6. There might be trash in the bottom of the gear selector that stops it from going all the way into park. I made $0.73 when fixing that problem on my Audi.

Window regulator assembly -- get a used on from Force 5

Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

thermostat ill get when i start work again but now i have a bigger problem. the headlights ect just randomly turned back on when after i turned off the car and started it haha i think it has to do with the key sticking a little past on and not quite so far the the starter keeps going.

anyway back to the bigger problem. battery died, been having trouble with the volts for a while, the thing was barley cranking over. bought a new one after realizing the CCA was way to low anyway. than 2 days later it dies while driving and i figured huh needs an alternator too. so i spend 2 hours pulling it out, than i brought it into kragen to get a new one and have it tested just in case.... and holy ****, it passed. the guy said he worked on a passat with the same engine and it had an inline fuse between the alternator and the fuse box, he discribed where it was on the passat but i cannot find it on the audi... anyone have this happen to them? know where the inline fuse is? anyone have a PDF file for this car they can email me. when i google this kind of thing for this car i get **** results....

Old 12-09-2011, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear

Did you do anything that was sugested by ManyAudis and me or do you just like to tell us about your problems?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

welp, im interning in the emergency room. i leave my place at 6am, get home around 8pm... has been that way for the past 8 days. and the one day off i had, i took alternator off and got it tested to find that it was working... so no i havent done it.

o and not to mention i havent gone to my actual job for 3 weeks because of this internship so all these little things like thermostat and interior lights can wait. i would just like to have it running but ****, when life doesnt slow down for a car to be fixed... i just ride a borrowed motorcycle .

Old 04-07-2012, 06:52 AM
1st Gear

It is possible that your coolant temp sensor is what is causing the gauge to not work. The thermostat is not connected to the gauge at all so if your coolant is reaching normal temp but the gauge doesnt change then it is without a doubt your sensor or a electrical problem between the sensor and the gauge