Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems on my new 1998 Audi A6 2.8L

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 05:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Problems on my new 1998 Audi A6 2.8L

Hey everyone.
I finally got my FIRST Audi A6 Quattro. it's a 1998 year model, but it's condition (exterior and interior) are excellent.
Only one door dent and a few scratch at one side, which I will get it fix and the interior is perfect, with only some stains on the roof area, so I will shampoo later today.

I drove 300miles down and drove 300 miles back to NY after I paid for it, from Washington DC all the way back to NY upstate. So the engine is all good, and I love the AWD (Quattro) it's very nice.

Well, other then that, everything is fine, except a few things I have to fix them,
Anyhow, here are the symtoms and problem I want some help on:
1) Check Engine light is on: Before I paid full in cash, I plugged in my ODB-II scanner and read 3 codes but only 2 codes can be retrieved/translated by my scanner (I don't know why that is) and the two codes are something like: one injector open circuit, and transmission interlock switch open. (the Transmission code worries me a bit)
Well I remove all the codes, and after 300miles of driving back the check engine light came back on, and there is only 1 code generated, but that code cannot be retrieved, so I guess it's that one code from before that cannot be read as well. (I hope the other two codes won't pop up later on) so what can it be? the lady who sold the car to me said the dealer said it's the alternator not charging. but how come my scanner cannot read it. or can it be the ABS failure? can it be something like an AUDI USE ONLY code, so my scanner cannot read it?

2) ABS amber light is on constantly from start to stop, day and night, with the red brake light blinking.
I read before, saying if the ABS has problem, I can read the ECU by ODB-II and get the error code of what's wrong with the ABS, but I got nothing except that UNKNOWN code. can that unknown code be it? or ABS ecu and ECU just not connected together for error code?

3) This worries me the most, When I drive, either in Auto (D) or move to Tiptronic. everytime I get a little more aggressive, like going to 3000-4000RPM then shift, the RPM will go up 300-500RPM higher, then kicks in, making a SHOCK at shifting between gear. (like in neutral for a second then shift) but if I go slowly like shift at every 2000-2800RPM, then it won't be as much, maybe 50-100RPM higher then shift. I am worried. is this something I can get it fix by re-flashing the Transmission ECU or flash with an update at the dealer? or it's a common problem in Audi A6? or my transmission is gone or going bad? Please give me some help on this.

I might get some answer saying I should drive my car into the dealer and get them fix it for me.
But I am like a garage person. I like to fix car and it's my habbit. And also, since I am still paying of student loans, and financing a house, I don't want to spend too much (get rip off by dealer) on fixing it, if I know the problem and is able to fix the problem myself. so please give me some advise or past experience if possible. thanks alot.

I have some other problems, but they are all tiny things that I can ignore right now. just the above three I worries the MOST. Thanks for all your help in advance, and I hope this post is not too much/long to read.

Thanks all, I am looking forward to get my Audi A6 fixed.
Gil

Old 10-04-2005, 03:46 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Problems on my new 1998 Audi A6 2.8L

Advice anyone?

Old 10-04-2005, 04:23 AM
1st Gear

PM'ed you.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help on the rough shifting issue.
Does anyone else has any ideas or opinions on the other problems I stated above?
Thanks in advance!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

i was having the same problem can any one help now my car is noisy in drive and reverse hard clunk when going from drive to reverse and my muffler is smoking i needed to replace bank 1 and 2 sensor could this b the problem or is it my transmission i have a 1998 audi a6 102000 automatic transmission it takes long to accelerate and the noise gets louder the harder u press the petal please help

Old 03-31-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Could u explain how u fixed your transmission problem as i am having the same problems with rough gear change

Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 PM

- Transmission problem: I had same problems, I took it to dealers, I had to pay for 2 hours of inspection after which I was told that my trasmission needed to be changed(new tranny on 98 Audi A6 Quattro = 8000-9000 $). I took it from dealers and had it chacked out at local garage. We retreived codes, i had bout 16 codes retreived, deleted all of them, turned off the car and in 5 minutes turned back on, guess what? Tranny is in perfect condition- no need to change. only problem was that errors made vehicle computer react on them and put car in "defensive mode". basically this means that the vehicle computer was making sure that my tranny would not get damaged because of other problems I was having.

How bad it was - My tiptronic was not even working and tranny was hardly shifting.

So check codes and clear them. It helped me a lot.

Maybe you know solution for my problem?
I drive '98 Audi A6 Quatro, V6, 5V, 2.8L. My climate control has a problem. I took apart dash and checked blower fan, it workes perfect - I took it off, connected to 12V source and Fan works fine.

I checked fuses and those 30 Amp( I guess they are for Climate Control) are good. I checked cables which connect to Blower Fan and they do not have POWER. My multimeter did not show anything - I guess this is the problem right? any ideas what is going on? I appreciate your help.

Additional Symptom - Sometimes when I turn on Climate Control the screen(s) on climate control Unit start blinking. Oh and I have Solar roof, if that info is any help.

WHAT I HAVE CHECKED :

I checked Fuse # 25(Blower for Heating, Climate Control, Solar roof) and Fuse#26(Air Circulation, Rear Window Defogger). When Ignition is ON they have Power

I need your help and will appreciate it highly

Old 04-01-2008, 11:17 PM

The OBDII is for emmisions as required by law in the USA. What do you mean by an unknown code? Does your scanner give you a number beginning with P, but says its definitionis unknown? Is the scanner unable to retrieve even the code number?
If you have a laptop computer you may get a cable from www.ross-tech.comto find the codes for your ABS and transmission problems. You will also need the audi service manual from Bentley Publishing. Sometimes, one of the four ABS sensors fails. Without VAG-COM, you will miss the non-OBDII codes, which would point to the problem.
Do you have emissions and safety testing in your part of New York state?If you do, then you will have a problem passing.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

hey whats up everyone i need your help my 1998 audi a6 ac say on all the time even when i tune it off compressor says on but every thing working fine its very cold but why say on

Old 06-16-2013, 01:21 AM
1st Gear
Default AC

Your saying your AC compressor stay's on - your AC compressor is alway's on - it's your AC clutch that you'd want to be worried about... If your AC clutch stay's engaged there's an issue

Quick Reply: Problems on my new 1998 Audi A6 2.8L