AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Purchase advice - 2001 AUDI A6 AVANT (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/purchase-advice-2001-audi-a6-avant-191885/)

twopedalwarrior 01-31-2013 03:54 PM

Purchase advice - 2001 AUDI A6 AVANT

Hi all

New member, first post, hopefully not the last.

I am about to look at an 2001 AUDI A6 AVANT Automatic tonight to purchase, and wanted some advice prior. I am heavily involved with Mazda's and some Audi experience.

Snipt: Imported from the US in 2011 to Canada, Only rearpanel damage in 2012, write off now a fully certified inspected rebuild that ICBC has inspected and will insure

Here is the history of this vehicle: From CarFax

2001 - Owned and Purchased in PA USA
2007 - sold from first owner
2007/2009 - second owner Arizona
2009/2011 - third owner Arizona
2011/2012 - third owner brings to Canada (BC West Coast) Federal and Provincial inspection, passes with flying colours
2012 Rearpanel damage = write off
2012 - Repaired and fully inspected. No structural issues

Mileage 200,000KM
No prior vehicle maintenance history
No codes are being thrown.

Asking price $3700 CDN and is negotiable.

Seller is the person who repaired the damage. Independently inspected and passed with flying colours, including the work he did. Says the interior, engine and exterior is is excellent shape.

Has all the paper work from Import inspection and rebuild inspection (including structural)

This will be for my wife, prior I will be going over the car with a fine tooth comb with flashlight and taking it for a test drive. She will come and look at it if I I give the green light.

Pro's:

Good price, reliable vehicle, has lots of life left in it. Zero rust anywhere.

Con's

Rebuild, no prior history

I've got a great check list that I found on line to review the vehicle with. Throw me some information on anything else I need to really consider. I will post pictures tonight and give my impressions after I see it later on.

rodhotter 01-31-2013 07:05 PM

what engine? my 01 jetta 1.8T still ran well at 200,000 miles timing belt every 75,000, high mielage cars are a crap shoot without service history, its cheap enough but unless you do most of your work repairs can be $$ even maintainence work its not a VW but a lot of the parts are the same just cost more because AUDI!! vw + audi sheetmetal is fully galvanized, usually no rust, my 01 jetta in pa salt snow no rust

carelm 02-02-2013 01:13 PM

Since you don't have prior maintenance records plan on replacing the timing belt and water pump ASAP. It will run you around $1500 US or so depending on who you get estimates from. Also look at the cv boots.

twopedalwarrior 02-03-2013 12:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all - Got sick the night after my viewing, but back to report facts

CARELM - CV boots aren't an issue, inspection report fully passed
rodhotter - 2.8L Engine

1) Does it look good - Yes
2) Does it idle well - Yes
3) Rev's No problem - no funny sounds
3) Does the Insurance Rebuilt Inspection form say everything passed - Yes
4) Timing Belt appears to have been done ~ 65-75K Miles (There is a sticker on under the hood I could barely make out that indicated when the timing belt was done.
5) Passenger Window struggles to get up - probably off track - I can repair
6) Missing one Key
7) Missing spare tire
8) Heated seats get approx 80% hot on #6 - not a biggy
9) Interior is in great shape
10) Brand new tires
11) Brand new rotors and pads
12) New battery

I couldn't take it for test drive as it wasn't insured. I will be going back with my wife when he he back from vacation for the actual test drive with insurance.

It was also dark and with the flash lights couldn't see actual paint difference between the new bumper and panels

I am posting a picture of the engine bay, it looked mostly clean except a leaky coolant line. I believe that is what it is. If you can tell me what is leaking that would be handy. I will be searching for the service manual as well.

Bottom line - I have in down to $3100 CDN. I've seen the pre-rebuild pictures and it was only the right rear bumper corner that needed repairing = new rear bumper. I 've also posted the inspection sheet too. And in all honesty, my wife and I are willing to put out 2K in the next couple months to bring this up. Comparable non-rebuilds are 8K in our area. So the test drive will speak to how the transmission and suspension really respond. But bottom line, British Columbia's government inforced provincial insurance (no privatized here) wouldn't let this wagon on the road unless it passed with flying colours.

Attachment 27363
Attachment 27364

carelm 02-03-2013 10:56 AM

You may to first try spraying some silicone lubricant on the window runners. If that doesn't work it's fairly easy to remove the door panel to get to the tracks inside the door panel. One screw on the leading edge of the door panel and one inside the door armrest if I recall. Then disconnect the power window switch.

twopedalwarrior 02-03-2013 11:57 AM

carelm - thanks, good advice. Also, do you have any idea what the leaking hose clamp in that picture is? I've tried to find an online engine diagram for the 2.8, but having issues....

twopedalwarrior 02-04-2013 03:38 PM

Its a power steering fluid leak - simple fix.

jane.jo78 03-17-2013 04:54 AM

Were you able to narrow down an answer on your leak? I just purchased a 2001 Audi A6 and no sooner had I drove it off the lot "as is" it started smoking and now three weeks later the car has been in and out of the shop 2 weeks and $2k+ later it is still smoking from the rear side of the engine, back by the firewall.