AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Purchased first Audi! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/purchased-first-audi-60797/)

jrandol 04-16-2007 12:03 PM

Purchased first Audi!

Just purchased my first Audi yesterday! It's an 02' A6 w/ 3.0 Quattro. I am really happy with the car and I think I got a pretty good deal. Two things, I notice at higher speeds (above 65 mph) I get a little bit of vibration in the steering wheel. The dealer I bought it from thought it was tire balancing so they are going to do a free tire balance and rotation. What else could it be if thats not it?
Also, I think I might need to do new rotors, I get a decent amount of pulsation while heavy braking. (I don't know how I missed that in the test drive??) Anyway, any suggestions there? Are A6's a DIY type of rotor replacement job? Any special tools required?

jrandol 04-18-2007 02:06 AM

RE: Purchased first Audi!

Anybody out there???????

Jeffla 04-18-2007 02:24 AM

A6 break jobs are DIY, the fronts are straight forward, the rears need a little more effort but still very straight forward.. My car also has a vibration above 65mph, my tires are new and have been balanced at Discount tire using the Hunter machine. I also have new pads and rotors. Someday soon I will track down the vibration. Do a search for vibration, this topic has been discussed to death.

Enjoy the new car.

kam2007 04-18-2007 04:02 AM

I am on my 2nd Audi and have driven 3 other A6s. The ONLY way I was never able to get rid of the "Above65 mph Vibration" completely. I know there are people out there who will tell you that they dont have teh same isse, I say they either cant feel the very slight vibration, or they have a combination of after market wheels/rotors that eliminates whatever core issue Audis have.
THAT said, the same vibration can be greatly minimized by getting 4 wheel alighnment and balancing (on new set of tires) or if your tires are in good shape.

erick brian 04-18-2007 03:41 PM

I don't get any vibrations over 65mph. What I do notice in mine, is I tend to chirp from the line almost everytime I stop. Well, not everytime, but a LOT! I'm thinking it's my wheels...some wider ones would do the trick...but I did notice shaking of the wheel when I turn off the ESP. Doesn't shake much compared to a Full Stock Manual Honda '96 HB Civic....my first car ever.
It rolled 3 times. Car accident it got in while my sister was hit by a DUI chick. Sister's okay though.

jrandol 04-19-2007 08:46 PM

Thanks all to have posted advice and information. I just had the brakes done yesterday. The rotors were able to be turned (won't be next time) and they put new ceramic pads on all the way around. The pads weren't that bad but the shop was concerned that the pads might have some memory in them from the warped rotors and recommended new pads. Long story short.......the brakes now work likea champ.

I still get that above 65 mph shutter thats annoying. I am going to go get a 4 wheel alignment when I get home and a tire balance to see if that gets rid of it. It's a vague shutter but I just can't stand it!