Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions on an A6 i'm about to buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Default questions on an A6 i'm about to buy

hello everyone, I'm about to buy a 2003 Audi a6 2.7t with 127,000 (highway) miles on it, everyone i talk to says that's an awful lot of miles but i know how well Audi's are built and if its properly maintained will run for a long time. so sometime this week im driving about an hour to pick up the A6 and take it to a mechanic and have it looked over and tell me if its mechanically sound, if it is, I'm going to buy it probably, the owner told me that he changed the timing belt at 90,000 miles and the CV joints have been worked on too. I'm posting just to see what your opinions on this car are, I was considering taking it to my Audi dealer but i don't want to pay an arm and a leg to just have the car looked over.

thanks,
03Audi

Old 09-23-2008, 06:38 AM
2nd Gear

You will need control arms and tie rod ends if they have not already been done. You should get a very nice car for a very nice price.

Bob

Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 AM
1st Gear
Smile A6 Purchase

Hi. Well you are doing the right thing by having the car looked over by an independent mechanic prior to comitting to the purchase. I agree with you about the cars being well built and reliable as long as they are maintained. You should get with the seller and have him/her provide you with some documentation proving the timing belt was changed (very expensive procedure). It would also help to see if other documentation can be provided to see if other routine maintenance was performed on a regular basis. As long as this car has been maintained, I don't see why it wouldn't be a dependable used car that you can enjoy for years to come. Good Luck with it!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Hey man, there are some (IMO) really good deals on 2.7T A6s here in the Orlando Area. PM me if you want me to send you some of the ads, so you can compare and make sure you are getting a nice deal.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

It has 75K miles though which means as soon as you buy it you would probably need to replace the control arm bushings / CV boot / timing belt (without a question).

Old 09-23-2008, 11:05 PM

Well everyone, I picked up the A6 today from the owner, he let me take it until Thursday to have it checked out, yes he has the receipts from the CV boots and timing belt, everything that needs to be done on this car has been, the interior is UNBELIEVABLE, absolutely immaculate, not a crease in the leather or tear in the carpet, even with 127,000 miles, I drove it for about 50 minutes of highway on the way home today, going about 85+ mph and the car was sturdy and smooth, the engine makes no odd noises and I sat there with an open hood and the car running for probably 5 minutes, I'm convinced this is "the one", so tomorrow I'm taking it to the Audi dealer (because i couldn't find any independent mechanics around here who would just "look" at an A6) and having it checked out, and if its all safe and sound then i think this is my car, thanks for all your advice and help and I'll keep posting and update you guys

03Audi

Old 09-24-2008, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear

I bought mine in May 2005 and put mostly highway miles on it the last three years, currently at 118k. It is a very solid car with few problems. The only unexpected issue was a failed alternator at 74k. I admit to replacing the clutch and flywheel, but the original owner did a lot of towing and then I chipped it soon after I bought it. But that was back around 89k, so the last 30k have been trouble free.

Just change the oil every 6-8k with Mobil1 and avoid potholes.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 PM

I bought the car tonight everyone, This morning I took it out to the dealer and they looked it over, the only problems were a torn right front CV boot and a faded drivers side mirror, those two things will keep the car from passing the NYS inspection unfortunately, which is already expired on the car, so for now the A6 is at home sitting waiting for me to come home with the parts. I'll post pics asap if you guys want to see, let me know

03Audi