Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on shock/struts, springs, and Blauparts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 AM
4th Gear
Default Questions on shock/struts, springs, and Blauparts...

Ok, I need to change shocks/struts and was looking for the best prices and ran across Blauparts selling this:

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MGR1009-B

Any idea on the quality of this kit and maybe who makes it? I know its not Bilstien or Koni, but then I dont need anymore than a slight upgrade from stock. Anything would be better than the Bungee cords I have now anyways

Next question: Is there an OEM Sport spring that fits my car that would drop it about 1"? Like prolly from an A6 with Sport suspension, or even an S6? I know there are aftermarket ones, but I'm not looking for that firm of ride and with the roads and winter here, I'd tear something up going lower than 1-1.5".... Ok, and I'm cheap .

Same question on sway bars.. the ones I have now are not doing much at all

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 PM
4th Gear

Hello?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:20 AM
4th Gear

OK.. I know to STFA, but I did, read the tech articles, searched Google, whatever.. The problem is ALL of these OEM Sport 'swaps' involve C5's, not C4's so I would appreciated alittle hint here..

And somebody's gotta know something about the Blaupart kit..?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 AM
2nd Gear

The struts are probably Tokico or KYBs painted Blau's color. It should work just fine. Expect a "sport" ride, not a luxury ride.

Bob

Old 08-26-2009, 03:12 PM
3rd Gear

Jim, did you do anything yet as far as changing the struts?

I am really interested in what you find/do, as I think I may need new front struts too and you got the C4. The car doesn't ride really bad, but sometimes going over those asphalt ondulations (or swells?) is like hitting hard a curb. If I press down the car over the fenders, the shocks rebound right away, without further bouncing, but I know something isn't kosher about these hard thunks.

Also, I don't know how your C4 Quattro's suspension is, but as I was mentioning in the wheel hub/bearing thread, on my FWD the whole suspension tower and the knuckle are one single unit. I would assume that I need inserts for my car. Is that a fair assessment?
I would like to know how the inserts could be replaced and start plannning to purchase new ones.
(already got two Boge gas shocks off Ebay for the rear)

Last edited by chefro; 08-26-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:59 PM
4th Gear

Well, funny you should ask... I just received the blau kit from FedEx today. Not bad at all seeing as I ordered it yesterday @ 3:40 pm.

I've only had a chance to quickly look over the parts, but so far they look ok. Seems heavier than Monroe or KYB's I've seen, but not quite a Bilstein. I have also asked, and while they didnt actually tell me who made them, I was told they were made specifically to Blau's specs and are not suppose to be someone else's and simply repainted. Now that could mean they simply picked one from a current lineup and had the factory slap their label on, but thats better than a repaint. Besides, even if I just bought KYB's, the inserts/shocks would have coast 90% of what Blau is charging, and then I'd have to buy all the hardware, stops, boots, etc. So still a good deal for peeps wanting near stock replacements.

I will prolly have time to put them on this weekend IF it doesnt rain. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm thinking that, yes, you do have inserts.. But if you get the kit, it comes with the bearings/mounts so if you change them, you'll still need an alignment.

Oh, they extended the special to sept. 30, so you have time.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MGR1012-B

Old 08-26-2009, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear

Jim, let me know how it works out. I am really interested in this since my shocks are shot. I was pondering the Eibach and Kony ESP combo, but don't really want to loose the winter clearance with the lowered springs. Also I like the fact that the blauparts kit comes with all the goodies.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
4th Gear

okie... But it looks like it will be awhile as its suppose to rain through the weekend and I have to do this in the driveway.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks, Jim.

I'll wait until you install yours and report what kind of ride they offer. That's a hard to beat price for all-around replacement, and coming with all the goodies as HX said it.

AAutohaus has Boge inserts for the front for $ 80.51.
Dust boot - $ 8.28
Bearing - $ 21.07
Mount plate $ 23.76
Bump stop - $ 11.21
So just for the front I would have to spend 144.83 x 2 = $ 289.66. And who knows, the "blues" can be as good as the Boge brand.

Put together a write-up, will ya?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:49 AM
3rd Gear

It looks like you should have a partly cloudy/sunny day Saturday!
Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 60s, and lows in the upper 40s
Sunday it says "few showers" but the precip chances are only 30%.
You may be able to get down and dirty with your fav gal

Quick Reply: Questions on shock/struts, springs, and Blauparts...