Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quirky 2000 A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Default Quirky 2000 A6 Avant

So I've got an avant that has some quirks, that I believe may be related. First off and most pressing, is the a/c. I have the fully automatic dual zone system in which the a/c works great as long as the compressor stays on. For an unknown reason, it will turn itself off, usually at idle (when I need it the most). It will do this whether I have the system set at 72 degrees, or on low. For the most part on the highway it will stay on and work well. I have hooked a guage up to the low side, which reads at 55-65 psi when it is working, and it then rises to 100 when the compressor turns off.

I also have a display that is having some issues..it is streaky for one thing, but it has been like that since I bought it and doesn't matter to me; but I am getting an indicator that three of the doors are open, this will turn on and flash at me, always the same doors. I somehow feel like this may be connected to the a/c issue, however I am not really sure how.

My final issue a "chirping" gas tank. I know this is due to pressure building up the gas tank, as it happens more when I am driving in the mountains. I am basically sick of it giving me a check engine light that could be masking another issue. I doubt that one is related to the above problems, but I suppose with an Audi you never know.

The only suggestion I have gotten so far is I may have a grounding issue, can anyone recommend where to get a good wiring diagram for the car?

I apologize for asking such envolved questions on my first post, but I just had this forum recommended to me and thought I would give it a try.

I really appreciate and help I can get.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Quirky 2000 A6 Avant

the A/C issue ...
the low side pressure is off the charts !!!
a normal working system will work at about 30-40 Psi !!!
this week alone i evacuate/recicled about 50+ systems.
all of them top up with about 2-2.5Lbs of R134.
my next question is...
did anyone service your A/C recently ??
since the problem could be in your expansion tube or might even have a problem in the system.
judging like this without seeing the car is like trying to operate on a patient thats 2 floors above you.

if posible take a reading on the high side of the system and then post your reading.
also the ambient temperature would be nice and humidity readings.
WARNING
pressures on the high side can range between 250 - 500 PSI !!!

Old 07-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Default RE: Quirky 2000 A6 Avant

Unfortuantely, I don't have a guage to take a high side reading, but I am sure I can round something up. My a/c has not been serviced since I purchased the car, which was in the late summer of last year. ambient temp at reading would be in the low 80's (I took it this morning before it warmed up, and I thought it was actually working a bit better than normal) and humidity in the 40-50% range. If it would be helpful, I can take a reading tomorrow when it is hot out and get specific temp and hum figures.

Thanks for your help