Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Code for unclocking "safe" mode.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

How insane... So eventually when I change my battery I'll have to have a code to get my stereo to work again?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

One- the code was not printed on the radio. As it is an anti-theft feature, that would make the whole system pointless. (Now, YOU could put it there if you have the radio out.)

Two- Depending on the software in the radio, it may or may not need the code for a power loss. Some radio's "remember" the ECU or Speed-o-meter (serial number or something) and "know" if they are in the same car. These seem to be the newer manufactured radios. The original radio in my 2000 asked for the code all the time, the "identical" replacement with the same PN, asked for the code only when first installed.

Three- You shouldn't have to drive the car to input the code. The radio manual that came with my car had the correct code but was not the correct manual for the type radio installed. I had to poke buttons to find the correct buttons to input the codes. I later found the procedure on the net. Google can be your friend...

Old 12-13-2009, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

The dealer has to scan your car, then use the radio vin against a database to get the codes. Generally this costs 30 min worth of labor which is the minimum an audi shop will charge for any work they do. The dealer will then program it in for you and give you the code on your receipt so you have for future use. they also keep it on file at the dealer.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

I have my battery out of my car and am replacing my turbos. This will be a monthlong process so I really hope I don't need the code as they gave me the wrong radio manual with my car. I have a vagcom but on their site it says you can't get the code from vagcom. I'm assuming maybe if you get your radio vin or w/e then take it to the dealer they will tell you the code. It sucks when antitheft stuff like this causes more harm than good.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

If you have the serial number off the radio then call Audi’s customer assistance to speak with a Audi Customer CARE Advocate. Call 1-800-822-2834 (AUDI), Mon-Fri, 8 am to 8 pm, Eastern Time. If you tell them your Vehicle ID number and the radio serial number they will ask you some questions to verify the vehicle is registered to you and then they should provide you with the code for FREE. This typically takes a couple of days.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Thats exactly what I di...d

called Audi customer care and they gave me the code

Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM
3rd Gear

Most shops can plug a small 9v gizmo into your cigar lighter that provides power to the system when the battery is disconnected. You can buy them at Autozone for less than $10. This gives the radio enough juice that it does not think it is being stolen, and does not go into safe mode.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:07 PM
1st Gear
Default radio issues

I drive a 1999 a6 and a few months ago I had to replace my alternator which turned on my safe mode setting. unfortunately I entered the code on the radio card which was the wrong one the previous owner wrote it on the back the problem is now when I hold down the buttons to enter in the correct code it doesn't come up that I can enter it in. has anyone had this problem or know what I should do? I have to drive from sc to Vermont and I neeeeeed a radio.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Forum help

I have been member for 35 minutes and already found the answer to my 1st need. The Radio Code info is available from Audi Customer Care 800 822 2834. Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

If you have, or can acquire, the tool to remove the radio, you can get your code from the radio unit itself.

When changing the battery, keep some current going to the battery cable with the old battery using a jumper cable, or with a battery charger. That way, if you're careful enough, you can swap out the battery without causing safe mode. Guys at the Audi parts counter told me to try it that way.

Quick Reply: Radio Code for unclocking "safe" mode.