Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really need help on Transmission problem!

Old 11-08-2005, 11:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Really need help on Transmission problem!

I got my 98 Audi A6 2.8L for a month now, and I been fixing alot of things on it.
up to now, I got myself a Vag-Com (still don't know how to de-activate it) (I got the code, but from the problem, the "de-activate" buttom is grey out for some reason, no clue), and the Bently Manual already.

I replaced the Fuel Filter, Air Filter, all spark wires, all spark plugs, coolant temp sensor, MAF Sensor, and sent in and got the ABS Module fixed. I got all my check engine light and ABS/Brake light off the dash now.

But I am still having some problem with one thing, and this is the major thing so far!
I need to figure out WHY my Transmission is shifting badly.
Significantly noticable between 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th gear. and between shift from 3rd to 4th gear is the worst. it will neutral for a second with RPM shoots up for about 300-800RPM (depend on how much I stepped on the throttle) then when it engage in gear, either kinda smoothly (coz I didn't step too much into the throttle) or it will CHOKE BADLY (feel like a rear ended type feeling)

To me, I came up with a few theories, and I have no clue what or where to look at to fix it so far.
1) Trannsmission is bad, so it takes super long to shift between gears (but it won't happen if I drive like grandma)
2) Engine somehow don't konw I am shifting gear, so when it shift gear, it just keep reving up the RPM.

What else? I am lost guys!

Can someone please help me on the Transmission having bad shifting issues!

I need help on that guys!
No Check engine light, no faulty code at all.
What's up? Thanks all again!
Gil

Old 11-09-2005, 12:57 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Really need help on Transmission problem!

I just gotta ask, Is it an Automatic?

I am torn, you speak as though you do the shifting, but then you also seem to imply that it is an automatic transmission.

Either way, I would say clutch problem. On a stick it would be easy to fix on auto, not so much. And, 300-800 is kind of an odd range of numbers, I would bow down and thank the man who made my car idle at 300 let alone drop to 300 when it shifts (I got an Auto). Oh that is one of the things that leads me to believe it is stick. But if you feel like you are slipping and then biting, your clutch is gone. Another fun thing to try is really flooring it when you know you are solid in a gear and if your RPMs shoot up but you are not accelerating in conjunction with that flooring it, you are slipping.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:27 AM

Man, I hope someone GAVE you that car, cause it sure sounds like it's got a lot of problems. Good Luck!

Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

It's an Automatic, sorry for the confusion.
When I say it is 300-800RPM. sorry I don't mean it goes down to 300-800RPM. but it will SHOOTS up 300-800RPM on top of what I am current are at.
So it's like, when it shifts, the car will put into neutral for like half a second to a second. and during that time frame, the engine RPM will shoots up, since the car is in neutral for a second (no more acceleration power at all) then it engage into gear. and since it's in such a HIGHER RPM, the car will kinda like CHOKE.

The steps are like the following:
Accelerating -- shift from 3rd to 4th gear (auto) -- neutral/no power (deccelerate if uphill) -- RPM goes up (if my feet keep on throttle) -- gear engage to 4th gear -- accelerate hard since RPM is higher

Help!
Gil

Old 11-09-2005, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

First thing I would do..... Flush your transmission fluid and get some fresh stuff in there. Have you check the fluid level?

I know what you are talking about on the shifting. I experience the same thing every now and then. Flushing my transmission fluid is the next maintenance item on my list.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

the hesitation in shifting sunds like low fluid level. have a tranny service done.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

I will do a tranny fluid change this weekend

Do I HAVE to use the OEM Audi Tranny fluid ???
Or can I get those Mobil Full Synthetic Tranny fluid? Any help will be appreciated!!

Also if I just take the oil pan off, I will only drain like 4-5L of tranny fluid out. how to I flush the rest out?
Thanks alot!
Gil

Old 11-10-2005, 06:22 PM

you wont get it all out unless you have a drain plug on the converted which you don't, if you get 4-5LTS out your doing well a drain and refill you only get out 2.6 to 3.0LTRS, you can use full synthetic of another brand thats your choice as long as its better than AUDI/VW spec which is dexron III

Old 11-10-2005, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

OK, so I can use any Tranny fluid as long as they are FULL SYNTHETIC fluid & Dextron III or above.

I know I need to make the Tranny to a certain temperature before I can completely fill it up, so I have to use the Vag-com, but where and how do I use the Vag-com to get the temperature of the Tranny?
Thanks.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:52 AM
1st Gear

Is it the Tiptronic? I thought these things were filled for life? I assume its not Tiptronic??

I would put the stuff Audi recommends into it, and it they don't put synthetic in, I would NOT replace it with synthetic. Oil level is not gonna really be affected by a few degrees of temperature, normally they say 'operating temperature', so that means take the car for a drive. When changing, you can make it slightly underfilled, warm up the car, and then top it up.

If these is a slipping problem, you will smell it in the oil, it will have a burnt smell. Burnt smell is very bad, means the fiber plates are worn, and thats a tranny rebuild/replacement.

Since the transmission is computer controlled, or at least the Tiptronic is, might be some sensor. When my throttle body boot when on my 2.7T, I swore the transmission seemed bad. But it was just causing the transmission to respond badly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Really need help on Transmission problem!