Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear dome light question (C5 A6 2.7)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 06:38 PM
1st Gear
Question Rear dome light question (C5 A6 2.7)

I just have a quick question concerning the rear dome light. I just replaced all 4 map lights with red LEDs (White LEDs coming for the domes/vanity mirrors/glove box/etc in the mail) and I happened to notice something strange with the rear domes.

The problem: Rear dome lights will ONLY light up when front dome lights are turned to the "ON" position.

First thing I did was check the switch - it is placed in the middle ("Door") position. It was not turned to Off (O) or On (---) position. When a door is opened, both front domes and map lights turn on (Front switch is in "Door" position). The rears stay off.

With the front dome switch in "Door" position, even if you turn the rear dome switch to "On" (---), they still will not power on. Rear map lights will turn on at any time, without a problem.

As soon as you turn the Front switch to the "On" (---) position, the rear dome lights turn on with no problem.

Is this how it is supposed to be? I find it rather strange that the Rear domes don't turn on when a door is opened, even though the switch is set to "Door."

Second thing I checked was all of the contacts to the bulbs being that I had the housing popped down to change out the map lights. Everything looked good & dandy. Again, it can't be the bulbs or the contacts, as the Rears will turn on with no problem when the fronts are turned to the "On" position.

Any ideas? Comments?
Thanks!

- Ben -

Last edited by 01A6Turbo; 10-11-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default rear domes

I have had a similar problem. I checked the switch, the bulbs, you know, I went through the easy stuff. Then I got frustrated since it shouldn't be that hard and I gave the housing a shot with my hand. It works fine now! I know it must be a loose contact somewhere, but since it is working, I haven't had the need to fiddle with it.

If you figure it out, Let me know.