Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the Hazard switch/turn signal relay

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Removing the Hazard switch/turn signal relay

I need to replace my turn signal relay. I know there are some older posts that brush over the procedure; one even had pictures, but the links to the pictures are now broken. Can anyone explain how to replace the hazard switch/relay?

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:07 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Removing the Hazard switch/turn signal relay

You first have to remove the radio and you need special keys for that. Then you should be able toremove the hazard switch after popping it out of the locking tabs. Beenawhile since I've done one.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

Use a flathead screwdriver or putty knife to partly pop off the wood trim, then pry it off with your fingers...pull it off little by little so it doesn't crack.
Once the trim is off grab the edge of the hazard switch body with some needle nose pliers and pull it out of the dash (it will be tough to pull out)
Once it's out, unplug the harness
Install in reverse

Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies, I got it out and replaced it. I just hope that fixes all the problems.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Did you really just have to pull with pliers? I just bought the part and need to replace when I get home. I have the trim off but the radio is still in. I see there are tabs on the side of the relay that will most likely break when I put it out with pliers. I just don't want to break any of the dash that holds it in.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I just got a big pair of pliers, made sure i was just getting the relay, then yanked it out. Don't pull it too hard, the harness connector on the back doesn't have much slack. My old relay was kind of scuffed up after this, but it was probably mostly from me trying to figure out how to get the damn thing out. This was on a 2000 2.8Q, I don't have an Audi anymore. I moved on to something reliable.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 PM

What went wrong with your A6? I had a 99 2.8 A4 for 60,000 miles and nothing went wrong aside from alternator and cv boot. I had a 2.7 A6 with no problems and now my 4.2 had this relay thing. I'm just curious. Thanks,

Old 07-02-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

Well, I developed an electrical problem. I think it was a short circuit b/c I kept blowing the same 10A fuse. It was the fuse for the control unit power supply. It was really annoying b/c whenever it blew the interior lights and windows would not work. It was also in need of some costly work in the near future. Timing belt service, pretty much the whole front end. It could use some shocks, and it has a small oil leak. After going through about 50 fuses in a month and not wanting to pay to get it even diagnosed, I just decided to sell it; for about 8 grand with 99k miles. I'm in college and the parents don't support having a car in college, I don't want a money pit.

Also, it just seemed like everything that went was overly complicated. I have a turn signal go out, so I stopped by a parts store to get a bulb. I put the bulb in, and that didn't fix the problem. I pulled the headlight assembly out and found that the turn signal contacts had overheated and melted down into the plastic. The dealer would probably have charged around $500 for a new assembly, but I have a soldering iron, so they didn't get my money. Its just things like that. In my mind, things like that and the turn signal relay going out just shouldn't happen. My dad has had japanese cars all of his life. The only problem he has ever had was a tranny going out after a Jiffy lube convinced my mom she needed a transmission flush on a car with high mileage.

Don't get me wrong, they are nice cars (I'm gonna miss the heated seats). They are fun to drive. But I wouldn't buy another one without a warranty.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

I forgot to mention, this is after I had the front axles, cv boots, tie rod ends, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and valve cover gasget replaced right after I got the car. Lucky for me, my dad knows some dealers. So I got the car for $6.5k from an auction, put $1k in it, then sold it for $7.8k 6 months later. I pretty much broke even.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:58 AM

that was the easiest fix on an Audi I've ever had! Pliers work just fine.

Quick Reply: Removing the Hazard switch/turn signal relay